Why F is for fox but it is V is for Vixen - sound changes in medieval London etc

  • glyn_thomas1234
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2008
      I love stuff like this. Almost every Monday on the BBC London radio
      show they have a professor of linguistics (Laura Wright) talking about
      some aspect of London language. This Monday they were talking about
      children's "truce terms", and then moved on to why words changed from
      "F" to "V".

      If you'd like to listen to it, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/2xg56j

      then scroll down the list to "Robert Elms" and click on MONDAY beneath
      his name; then click on the 5 minutes/15 minutes on the left of the
      screen until you get to 01.39.30 into the show.

      If things, don't work download the BBC Player from the site, which is
      perfectly safe.

      NB this episode is only there until next Monday.