Re: [pepysdiary] Black Death blamed on man, not rats

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29 3:29 PM

      Nick Balmer,

      Thanks for the very interesting contribution to the our understanding of the way the plague was understood at the time:  it corroborates the views of those at several places who feared Pepys and others from London, which had mistakenly come to be regarded as the per capita center of the plague.  It is now a part of the Pepysdiary.com's digital record.

      Had not Sir John Baber's children survived, I gather we would not be having this little chat; so hooray for Sir John and all of his descendants!!

      Luckily Sir John and his children survived the plague.  He was responsible for running a hospital in Westminster, and he also organised the disinfection of the Palace of Westminster before the King's return from Oxford.

      My great x 8 grandfather's was one of only 27 doctors who stayed in London throughout the plague. All the others fled.

      I just hope we never have to face such an event.

      Regards

      Nick Balmer