Henry VIII's benevolent side emerges with a £1m chain

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2008
      [Re Edward Montague C.J., Sandwich's great-grandfather]
      Henry VIII's benevolent side emerges with a £1m chain
      By Arifa Akbar, Arts Correspondent
      Thursday, 21 August 2008

      The merciless punishments Henry VIII meted out to his enemies have
      been well documented. Less is known about how, on the rarer occasions
      when the king was happy with the service of his courtiers or the
      country's most eminent noblemen, he liked to give them a golden livery
      collar or heavy chain as a token of his gratitude.

      Henry VIII only awarded around 20 of the chains. They were all
      engraved with the characters SS, referring to the Latin religious
      creed, Spiritus Sanctus (Holy Spirit), though none were believed to
      have survived in their entirety.

      Now, however, the first complete "collar of the Esses", as they were
      known, has been discovered in the family home of the Romantic poet
      Samuel Taylor Coleridge. The collar was presented to Edward Montagu,
      the then Lord Chief Justice, by King Henry in the 1540s.

      It is understood that the extraordinary find is to be sold in December
      at Christie's auction house in London, where it is expected to fetch
      up to £1m.

      The only other Esses collar known to be in existence, which is owned
      by the Lord Mayor of London, is believed to contain just 20 per cent
      of the original craftmanship, while the new discovery has much more of
      its original design intact.

      A number of silver collars of the Esses, which were handed out to
      queens and courtiers, survive today, including one on display at the
      Victoria and Albert Museum. But a gold version of the livery chain was
      far rarer to behold in Henry VIII's day.

      The gold collar famously features in the portrait of Sir Thomas More
      painted by Hans Holbein, which was used as a background for credits in
      the television series, The Tudors.

      Duncan Campbell, a silver consultant who began examining the
      provenance of the discovery two years ago, said that while the collars
      originated in medieval England and became popular in the 16th century,
      most were destroyed or used to make other jewellery.

      "A lot of people were given them in the 16th century but there were
      none left as they were all melted down except for the one worn by the
      Lord Mayor of London, whose provenance goes back to 1520. But it's
      only 10 to 20 per cent original and the rest of it has been added or
      repaired.

      "This one has had metallurgic tests and is 100 per cent original.

      "Its provenance had been traced to the 1700s, but in tests it was
      found that it is gold alloy, which was only used between 1546 and
      1552," he said.

      Coleridge's descendants, who had long suspected that the Esses collar
      was an original, began consulting with Mr Campbell around two years
      ago at the poet's estate in Ottery St Mary, near Exeter, Devon.

      Until recently, historians were unsure what the gold chains
      represented and why the double "S" was significant in livery chains.
      But following extensive research, Mr Campbell claimed to have
      discovered its original meaning.

      "The idea of handing these chains down was thought to have been
      started by John of Gaunt during the reign of Richard II. I have traced
      it back to the wife of Edward III, who was the daughter of the king of
      France, who had a brooch with the letters on it, and she gave it to
      her son, John of Gaunt, who used it as livery," he said.

      Mr Campbell said that Henry VII was partial to handing out the
      distinctive collars to his nobles, who wore them as a symbol of their
      allegiance to the monarch. It was a tradition that his son, Henry
      VIII, continued, by giving them to "special people who had done
      special deeds"
      http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/henry-viiis-benevolent-side-emerges-with-a-1631m-chain-904118.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 21, 2008
        What a wonderful find, Michael! Fascinating. Thank you so much for
        sharing this with us. I wonder how it came to be with the Coleridges? I
        wonder if there is any mention of this in Diaries or letters from/about
        "our"Sandwich? As it is so intact and unaltered (which seems from this
        article to have been very rare) maybe it was forgotten about fairly
        early on and simply locked away somewhere. Anyway, this really
        brightened up my day after a frustrating time at work!

        A.S.