Inside/outside of London

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13 4:06 AM
      I'm currently re-organising the 'Places' section of the Encyclopedia,
      partly as it's a bit messy, but partly so the different categories are
      more manageable for the new maps.

      But I have a question... There's a distinction in the categories between
      things that are in London and things that are outside London. I've tried
      to stick to a definition of London that fits with Pepys' time - so
      places like Deptford and Greenwich are "outside" of London. Does this
      make sense to people? Should I stick to a more contemporary definition
      of London? What would be least confusing?

      OK, that's three questions!

      Thanks,

    • Matt Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13 7:09 AM
        You have two votes from my household for using the 1660 borders for London.  Keep the list consistent with Pepys's understanding of London.  We moderns understand the Deptford and Greenwich have distinct spatial identies that we can find on maps.

        Matt Lee

        http://www.gyford. com/

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13 7:33 AM
          Yeah, FWIW, that's the thinking in the Bernhardt household as well ...

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13 7:55 AM
            Least confusing to me would be to use the boundaries of London that
            fits with Pepys's time. There have been times when I've found including
            'other' towns therein confusing -- until I made the time-jump.

            Terry Foreman

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13 10:40 AM
              Thanks folks (although I'm still happy to hear any other opinions!).
              There are some inconsistencies on the site at the moment, but I'll be
              tidying them up over the next few days.