Re: [pepysdiary] A map of Samuel Pepys' London

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
      Thanks for the feedback everyone.

      Here's another version I've been working on, which I think is better and
      more flexible (it's still pretty rough):

      http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/maps/

      You can now just hover over a red marker to get the name of the place,
      or click for more information. You can also choose different sets of
      types of location.

      There are some things I definitely need to fix:

      * The red markers can only go up to letter 'Z', so I need to find a
      solution for when there are more than 26 locations in a list.

      * It might be nice if the map was positioned differently for each set of
      locations. Or some of them, like Outside Britain and Outside London.

      * It would be good if the locations were numbered/lettered in order,
      maybe top to bottom, or left to right, rather than randomly.

      * When the list of locations gets very long it would be nice if the map
      stayed still while you scroll down the list.

      Any other thoughts?

      Thanks,
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
        On 2008-08-10 16:20, Matt Lee wrote:
        > That would be tricky. I'm sure roads have moved several times since
        > 1660. That also could be quite a bit of work. Sounds like an in-depth
        > article for someone to create.

        I think we'd be surprised how many of the roads are in exactly the same
        place, even if some of them have since turned into motorways.

        But I think the difficulty may be that while we know which towns and
        sometimes villages Pepys passed or stopped at, we wouldn't necessarily
        know which roads he took. Sometimes it might be obvious, other times
        we'd be guessing.

        But with the new map idea I've just posted, it would be physically
        possible to have different types of maps - not just lists of locations
        from the Encyclopedia. So we could have some different themes in there
        too, like journeys he took.

        So if anyone feels like compiling some, get in touch!

        Phil

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
          Thank you so much for this - have spent a merry nostaligic time looking
          at this map! oh, dear. Must work.......
          A.S.

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
            Phil,

            Thanks for the hover-labels, which are more helpful to me (speaking only
            for myself) than the scale that disappeared. (I can get the scale by
            opening another tab and retrieving the Google London street-map there; and
            the distances are pretty short.)

            Terry

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
              On 2008-08-11 17:43, Terry Foreman wrote:
              > Phil,
              >
              > Thanks for the hover-labels, which are more helpful to me (speaking only
              > for myself) than the scale that disappeared.

              Whoops, I hadn't even noticed the scale had gone - it's back now, sorry
              about that!

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
                Phil,

                Thank you, once again!