RE: [pepysdiary] A map of Samuel Pepys' London

  • Matt Lee
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
      That would be tricky.  I'm sure roads have moved several times since 1660.  That also could be quite a bit of work.  Sounds like an in-depth article for someone to create.

      How about Phil create a couple of different map pages:

      1)    The map page that Phil has currently designed (I like the numbered tag idea).  I'm not sure much more should be done.
      2)    An open map page where individual annotators can place markers that reference sections of the diary or other information such as photos, other web references, etc.  Google maps already has this capability.

      Matt Lee

      From: Phil Gyford <lists@gyford. com>
      To: pepysdiary@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Saturday, August 9, 2008, 9:48 AM

      Hi Matt,

      The only colour coding I've done so far is to make the place where Sam
      has lived red - everything else is blue. There are other colours that we
      could use if need be.

      Phil

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
        Thanks for the feedback everyone.

        Here's another version I've been working on, which I think is better and
        more flexible (it's still pretty rough):

        http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/maps/

        You can now just hover over a red marker to get the name of the place,
        or click for more information. You can also choose different sets of
        types of location.

        There are some things I definitely need to fix:

        * The red markers can only go up to letter 'Z', so I need to find a
        solution for when there are more than 26 locations in a list.

        * It might be nice if the map was positioned differently for each set of
        locations. Or some of them, like Outside Britain and Outside London.

        * It would be good if the locations were numbered/lettered in order,
        maybe top to bottom, or left to right, rather than randomly.

        * When the list of locations gets very long it would be nice if the map
        stayed still while you scroll down the list.

        Any other thoughts?

        Thanks,
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
          On 2008-08-10 16:20, Matt Lee wrote:
          > That would be tricky. I'm sure roads have moved several times since
          > 1660. That also could be quite a bit of work. Sounds like an in-depth
          > article for someone to create.

          I think we'd be surprised how many of the roads are in exactly the same
          place, even if some of them have since turned into motorways.

          But I think the difficulty may be that while we know which towns and
          sometimes villages Pepys passed or stopped at, we wouldn't necessarily
          know which roads he took. Sometimes it might be obvious, other times
          we'd be guessing.

          But with the new map idea I've just posted, it would be physically
          possible to have different types of maps - not just lists of locations
          from the Encyclopedia. So we could have some different themes in there
          too, like journeys he took.

          So if anyone feels like compiling some, get in touch!

          Phil

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
            Thank you so much for this - have spent a merry nostaligic time looking
            at this map! oh, dear. Must work.......
            A.S.

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
              Phil,

              Thanks for the hover-labels, which are more helpful to me (speaking only
              for myself) than the scale that disappeared. (I can get the scale by
              opening another tab and retrieving the Google London street-map there; and
              the distances are pretty short.)

              Terry

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
                On 2008-08-11 17:43, Terry Foreman wrote:
                > Phil,
                >
                > Thanks for the hover-labels, which are more helpful to me (speaking only
                > for myself) than the scale that disappeared.

                Whoops, I hadn't even noticed the scale had gone - it's back now, sorry
                about that!

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
                  Phil,

                  Thank you, once again!