Re: [pepysdiary] A map of Samuel Pepys' London

  • Kelly
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 9, 2008
      number the pointers.

      Keep them rolling
      Kelly

      --- On Sat, 8/9/08, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:
      From: Phil Gyford <lists@...>
      Subject: [pepysdiary] A map of Samuel Pepys' London
      To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, August 9, 2008, 8:35 AM

      I thought it might be useful to show some of the places that Pepys often
      visits on a single map, to get a good idea of how much he's travelling.

      I've tried this with Google Maps: http://tinyurl. com/pepysmap

      Before I post this on the site I'd love to know what you think...

      * Is it useful?

      * What other locations should be on there?

      * Is there anything I've got wrong?

      * Are there any other ways it could be better?

      Thanks!

      http://www.gyford. com/

    • Richard Histon
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
        I've had a good look at this and posted a comment, how clever. I'm sure
        Pepys would love this sort of thing given his love of things new.

        On my to do list is a mini tour of London areas related to Pepys, maybe
        I had better book a hotel for a few days!

        Richard

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
          Maybe a color for business and a color for pleasure? Although, given Mrs. Bagwell's visits to the office, that could get tricky...   :-)

          This looks great, Phil. Very useful reference. The one thing I'd like to see would be specialized routes that show his travels out of London. So, for example, the routes he took while traveling to the various sites surrounding the recent wedding; or ones showing his various trips to Brampton; etc.

          Thanks!

          On 2008-08-09 15:46, Matt Lee wrote:
          > I like it. It gives great context. I know very little about google
          > maps, but is it possible to color the pins based on context in the
          > diary? (Haven't thought what this might be yet -- family, navy, other
          > business, etc.). The diary gives a sense of distance to some of these
          > places (Woolwich), that we don't have today.
          >
          > Matt Lee
          > mailto:mlee@landrum- brown.com

        • Matt Lee
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
            That would be tricky.  I'm sure roads have moved several times since 1660.  That also could be quite a bit of work.  Sounds like an in-depth article for someone to create.

            How about Phil create a couple of different map pages:

            1)    The map page that Phil has currently designed (I like the numbered tag idea).  I'm not sure much more should be done.
            2)    An open map page where individual annotators can place markers that reference sections of the diary or other information such as photos, other web references, etc.  Google maps already has this capability.

            Matt Lee

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
              Thanks for the feedback everyone.

              Here's another version I've been working on, which I think is better and
              more flexible (it's still pretty rough):

              http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/maps/

              You can now just hover over a red marker to get the name of the place,
              or click for more information. You can also choose different sets of
              types of location.

              There are some things I definitely need to fix:

              * The red markers can only go up to letter 'Z', so I need to find a
              solution for when there are more than 26 locations in a list.

              * It might be nice if the map was positioned differently for each set of
              locations. Or some of them, like Outside Britain and Outside London.

              * It would be good if the locations were numbered/lettered in order,
              maybe top to bottom, or left to right, rather than randomly.

              * When the list of locations gets very long it would be nice if the map
              stayed still while you scroll down the list.

              Any other thoughts?

              Thanks,
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
                On 2008-08-10 16:20, Matt Lee wrote:
                > That would be tricky. I'm sure roads have moved several times since
                > 1660. That also could be quite a bit of work. Sounds like an in-depth
                > article for someone to create.

                I think we'd be surprised how many of the roads are in exactly the same
                place, even if some of them have since turned into motorways.

                But I think the difficulty may be that while we know which towns and
                sometimes villages Pepys passed or stopped at, we wouldn't necessarily
                know which roads he took. Sometimes it might be obvious, other times
                we'd be guessing.

                But with the new map idea I've just posted, it would be physically
                possible to have different types of maps - not just lists of locations
                from the Encyclopedia. So we could have some different themes in there
                too, like journeys he took.

                So if anyone feels like compiling some, get in touch!

                Phil

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
                  Thank you so much for this - have spent a merry nostaligic time looking
                  at this map! oh, dear. Must work.......
                  A.S.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
                    Phil,

                    Thanks for the hover-labels, which are more helpful to me (speaking only
                    for myself) than the scale that disappeared. (I can get the scale by
                    opening another tab and retrieving the Google London street-map there; and
                    the distances are pretty short.)

                    Terry

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
                      On 2008-08-11 17:43, Terry Foreman wrote:
                      > Phil,
                      >
                      > Thanks for the hover-labels, which are more helpful to me (speaking only
                      > for myself) than the scale that disappeared.

                      Whoops, I hadn't even noticed the scale had gone - it's back now, sorry
                      about that!

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
                        Phil,

                        Thank you, once again!