Re: [pepysdiary] A map of Samuel Pepys' London

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 9, 2008
      Hi Matt,

      The only colour coding I've done so far is to make the place where Sam
      has lived red - everything else is blue. There are other colours that we
      could use if need be.

      Phil

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 9, 2008
        I like it too and for somewhat different reasons.  I'm a map-person, who hasn't spent enough time in and about London to get a sense of the scale at all; but the Google-map keeps the scale handy and shifts its size helpfully.  The key on the left to places is very handy.  I only wish it were possible to find a name by passing my cursor over its pin on the map -- as you've done the links -- but clicking on a pin works eventually.  Thanks for exploring this, Phil.

        Terry Foreman

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 9, 2008
          number the pointers.

          Keep them rolling
          Kelly

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
            I've had a good look at this and posted a comment, how clever. I'm sure
            Pepys would love this sort of thing given his love of things new.

            On my to do list is a mini tour of London areas related to Pepys, maybe
            I had better book a hotel for a few days!

            Richard

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
              Maybe a color for business and a color for pleasure? Although, given Mrs. Bagwell's visits to the office, that could get tricky...   :-)

              This looks great, Phil. Very useful reference. The one thing I'd like to see would be specialized routes that show his travels out of London. So, for example, the routes he took while traveling to the various sites surrounding the recent wedding; or ones showing his various trips to Brampton; etc.

              Thanks!

              On 2008-08-09 15:46, Matt Lee wrote:
              > I like it. It gives great context. I know very little about google
              > maps, but is it possible to color the pins based on context in the
              > diary? (Haven't thought what this might be yet -- family, navy, other
              > business, etc.). The diary gives a sense of distance to some of these
              > places (Woolwich), that we don't have today.
              >
              > Matt Lee
              > mailto:mlee@landrum- brown.com

            • Matt Lee
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
                That would be tricky.  I'm sure roads have moved several times since 1660.  That also could be quite a bit of work.  Sounds like an in-depth article for someone to create.

                How about Phil create a couple of different map pages:

                1)    The map page that Phil has currently designed (I like the numbered tag idea).  I'm not sure much more should be done.
                2)    An open map page where individual annotators can place markers that reference sections of the diary or other information such as photos, other web references, etc.  Google maps already has this capability.

                Matt Lee

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
                  Thanks for the feedback everyone.

                  Here's another version I've been working on, which I think is better and
                  more flexible (it's still pretty rough):

                  http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/maps/

                  You can now just hover over a red marker to get the name of the place,
                  or click for more information. You can also choose different sets of
                  types of location.

                  There are some things I definitely need to fix:

                  * The red markers can only go up to letter 'Z', so I need to find a
                  solution for when there are more than 26 locations in a list.

                  * It might be nice if the map was positioned differently for each set of
                  locations. Or some of them, like Outside Britain and Outside London.

                  * It would be good if the locations were numbered/lettered in order,
                  maybe top to bottom, or left to right, rather than randomly.

                  * When the list of locations gets very long it would be nice if the map
                  stayed still while you scroll down the list.

                  Any other thoughts?

                  Thanks,
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
                    On 2008-08-10 16:20, Matt Lee wrote:
                    > That would be tricky. I'm sure roads have moved several times since
                    > 1660. That also could be quite a bit of work. Sounds like an in-depth
                    > article for someone to create.

                    I think we'd be surprised how many of the roads are in exactly the same
                    place, even if some of them have since turned into motorways.

                    But I think the difficulty may be that while we know which towns and
                    sometimes villages Pepys passed or stopped at, we wouldn't necessarily
                    know which roads he took. Sometimes it might be obvious, other times
                    we'd be guessing.

                    But with the new map idea I've just posted, it would be physically
                    possible to have different types of maps - not just lists of locations
                    from the Encyclopedia. So we could have some different themes in there
                    too, like journeys he took.

                    So if anyone feels like compiling some, get in touch!

                    Phil

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 10, 2008
                      Thank you so much for this - have spent a merry nostaligic time looking
                      at this map! oh, dear. Must work.......
                      A.S.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
                        Phil,

                        Thanks for the hover-labels, which are more helpful to me (speaking only
                        for myself) than the scale that disappeared. (I can get the scale by
                        opening another tab and retrieving the Google London street-map there; and
                        the distances are pretty short.)

                        Terry

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
                          On 2008-08-11 17:43, Terry Foreman wrote:
                          > Phil,
                          >
                          > Thanks for the hover-labels, which are more helpful to me (speaking only
                          > for myself) than the scale that disappeared.

                          Whoops, I hadn't even noticed the scale had gone - it's back now, sorry
                          about that!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 11, 2008
                            Phil,

                            Thank you, once again!