Re: [pepysdiary] Fwd: Your Group has been inactive for 90 days

  • Bob Terry
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9 10:38 AM
      What sort of procedures do you mean Bob? I've been using Yahoo for so
      long it seems normal to me, so it's hard for me to tell what's
      peculiar about it!

      Well, where to find it for a start and how to log on/in.  Once there, it is probably just a question of following the dots.  I've avoided Yahoo as much as possible, because in North America at least, the groups, chat rooms, and so on, are zoos, and there's a good chance that you'll be spammed off the planet.
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 9 1:06 PM
        At 14:38 -0300 2006-07-09, Bob Terry wrote:
        >Well, where to find it for a start and how to log on/in. Once
        >there, it is probably just a question of following the dots. I've
        >avoided Yahoo as much as possible,

        There's a link at the bottom of every email that should contain a
        link to this group on the website. If not, here's the link:

        >because in North America at least, the groups, chat rooms, and so
        >on, are zoos, and there's a good chance that you'll be spammed off
        >the planet.

        Fair enough, although it's never been my experience of the groups I'm
        a member of.

      • Peg Helmholz
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 9 2:27 PM
          Yahoo? I don't find them to be a source of spam here in NY, which is sort of
          part of North America.

          Seriously, the social list seems unnecessary. Most of the time people are so
          good about sticking to Sam and His Life & Times, and it's not a capital
          offense to go off-topic once in awhile, for pete's sake. That's how our
          minds explore and grow and learn to ask questions - like Sam1.
        • Eccena@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 9 2:51 PM
             I prefer this group because I do not have to hunt it up. I get on the web and the entries are there.

            ellen
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 9 6:33 PM
              From Phil:
              > Definitely, except the social list has barely been used, and not at
              > all in the past three months!

              True enough, but again, it's nice to have an as outlet if we need it. IIRC, the social group
              started as a result of an outpouring of discussion surrounding Katrina and New Orleans, and a
              member of the group who had fled the city. As a community that has grown up around our common
              interest in Pepys (and history, and its relation to current events, I think I can safely say), we
              were all interested in her plight and updates. Many wanted it to continue, yet the discussion was
              definitely not Pepys-related, so we found another avenue. Who's to say when another event may
              occur that might make us want to use that outlet again?

              I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here ... if the majority don't see the need for the alternate
              list, that's fine with me. Thanks for bringing this up, Phil, and for everything you do to help
              bring and keep us together.

              -Todd
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 9 7:41 PM
                In the aftermath of Katrina, many of us, feeling a sense of community, were concerned when one of us was caught up in that and our reactions showed, I think, that we have a need to communicate very much off-topic occasionally and we should have an independent outlet for this as neither the Pepys Discussion Group not the diary site itself is appropriate. If it is not too much trouble, I would like there to be a Social Group.

                Thank you, Phil, for all your work.

                Susan

                >>> beat_town@... 10/07/2006 11:33:52 am >>>
                From Phil:
                > Definitely, except the social list has barely been used, and not at
                > all in the past three months!

                True enough, but again, it's nice to have an as outlet if we need it. IIRC, the social group
                started as a result of an outpouring of discussion surrounding Katrina and New Orleans, and a
                member of the group who had fled the city. As a community that has grown up around our common
                interest in Pepys (and history, and its relation to current events, I think I can safely say), we
                were all interested in her plight and updates. Many wanted it to continue, yet the discussion was
                definitely not Pepys-related, so we found another avenue. Who's to say when another event may
                occur that might make us want to use that outlet again?

                I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here ... if the majority don't see the need for the alternate
                list, that's fine with me. Thanks for bringing this up, Phil, and for everything you do to help
                bring and keep us together.

                -Todd

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Naomi
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 10 4:18 AM
                  All other Yahoo Groups that I belong to have the occasional OT
                  discussion. The Social Group only received 21 messages during its
                  existence and has not been used since the beginning of January. Would
                  it not be possible to allow some OT discussions on this Group rather
                  than having two overlapping Groups?

                  Naomi
                • Mark Peaty
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 10 9:29 AM
                    My 2¢ worth: I find that my Mozilla Thunderbird [and is that or is it not a pretentious name?] email client allows me to keep track of different conversation threads in the various email groups I follow. A relatively simple trick is to set up filters which move new messages to their respective subject folders. If vanilla Mozilla can do it, I'm sure Netscape can, and I do a similar thing with the MS Outlook I use at work. If you use a range of folders like this, the most up to date version of Mozilla lets you set a 'retention policy' for each folder and this allows you to have 'old' messages automatically deleted. Outlook has a similar process it calls 'auto-archiving'.
                    [and of course 'old' is what you define it as for each folder]

                    And, just for the record, can I make a vote of thanks to all the incorrigible  no, irrepressible! annotators who add immeasurably to both the entertainment value and the mind expanding, educational historico-socio-politico-whatchammacallit, value of the diary.

                    Our Samuel is an amazing character when you consider the energy with which he goes about his life and work. One thing we have to infer rather than often read, it seems to me, is that he had to plan each day rather well due to the distances he had to travel to keep appointments; having his 'boy' or a paid messenger run somewhere with a note was nothing like having phones, SMS, and email for keeping tabs on colleagues and clients.

                    I sometimes wonder just how much of a sense of humour Sam has. He is, I think, an extrovert who thinks. This is what allows him to do so much and not get bogged down in ruminations. He wants to know how things work and why things happen but doesn't get deeply obsessed -  except of course when persons named Pemberton seem to spend a lot of time in the vicinity of his wife. If Mr Pepys had been an introvert, like me for example, his diary might have been deep and meaningful but we would never have heard about it because he didn't do anything particularly interesting. However he often says: '... and we were very merry' or some such, yet he does not seem to joke with himself in the diary.

                    Another thing that struck me, which maybe reflects more on me than him, is that in his reporting of the 'recent' victory of the Portuguese over the Spanish which seemed to feature some significant help from the Brits, there seems to be no trace of horror in his relating that 10,000 men perished. On the contrary, he seems more interested in the reputation and prestige of the English 'Horse'.

                    Regards

                    Mark Peaty
                    mpeaty@...
                    http://www.arach.net.au/~mpeaty/
                    http://eiffel.dcc.ufla.br/focus/index.php

                    Eccena@... wrote:

                     I prefer this group because I do not have to hunt it up. I get on the web and the entries are there.

                    ellen

                    Virus Database (VPS): 0628-1, 10/07/2006
                    Tested on: 10/07/2006 10:15:26 PM

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 10 11:01 AM
                      At 11:18 +0000 2006-07-10, Naomi wrote:
                      >All other Yahoo Groups that I belong to have the occasional OT
                      >discussion. The Social Group only received 21 messages during its
                      >existence and has not been used since the beginning of January. Would
                      >it not be possible to allow some OT discussions on this Group rather
                      >than having two overlapping Groups?

                      It's possible, but it will always cause friction - there are some
                      people who *only* want Pepys-related stuff, and others who have the
                      time and/or inclination to be much more "sociable" within this
                      community. So what's a slight diversion off topic for one person is
                      an annoyance for someone else.

                      I'll set up a new Yahoo! list for it, so as to keep things in one
                      place, and you can join it or not as desired.

                      tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
                      aim: philgyford