Site News: Recent Activity and spam

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2008
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2008/06/24/8694.php

      You'll be pleased to read that the Recent Activity
      <http://www.pepysdiary.com/recent/> page is now back. Sorry it's been
      away for so long, but my time is short at the moment.

      An unfortunate side effect of the recent upgrade to Movable Type
      <http://www.movabletype.com/> seems to be that suddenly more spam is
      getting through in annotations (and on the comments on my other sites).
      I'm not sure why this is at the moment, but I'll keep my eye on it and
      delete them as soon as I can. The next (very imminent) update to the
      software promises a new method of stopping spam, and there are other
      things we could try, such as requiring people to log in before posting
      annotations.

      If you see any spam that's older than a day or two, please do let me
      know, otherwise assume that I'll remove it when I'm next online. Thanks
      for your patience.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2008
        Phil,

        Does that mean the whole of your sites are open to spam-bots, etc?

        If so, how maddening that must be.

        We should roam about as we can and see what's been added on to the legit
        annotations.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2008
          On 2008-06-24 22:00, Terry Foreman wrote:
          > Phil,
          >
          > Does that mean the whole of your sites are open to spam-bots, etc?

          Not completely open - I have three things which all try and filter out
          spam in different ways, which in theory haven't changed since the
          software upgrade. But for some reason they're letting more spam through.
          Including both annotations which I've manually marked as spam and those
          automatically filtered (most of them), there have been thirty spam
          annotations in the past hour!

          > If so, how maddening that must be.
          >
          > We should roam about as we can and see what's been added on to the legit
          > annotations.

          They're pretty easy to spot, so I should be able to notice most of them.
          I'll also try and work out why it's all suddenly changed!