Recent Activity update

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11, 2008
      I’m sorry for the continued lack of the lists of recent annotations on
      the Recent Activity page <http://www.pepysdiary.com/recent/>. The
      database queries that were generating these were taking a few seconds
      each to run and I’ve been trying to cut back on my sites’ use of the
      database. I’ve had a quick attempt at making these more efficient but
      haven’t had any joy yet.

      There is a way I can get Movable Type, the software that runs the site,
      to generate these lists automatically when a new annotation is posted,
      but I’d like to change the way the software is installed before doing
      this. (For those interested, I’d move MT to run under FastCGI which
      should be more efficient.
      <http://www.movabletype.org/documentation/administrator/maintenance/fastcgi.html>)

      I hope to have time to do this, as well as upgrading Movable Type to the
      latest version, which should also increase efficiency, some time over
      the next week or so. Apologies again, but it’s been one of those busy weeks.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 11, 2008
        No worries, Phil -- I (for one) knew you were working on it, and appreciate simply having the Diary as a resource and diversion.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 23, 2008
          Hi,

          A quick update... I've just upgraded Movable Type to the latest version
          (which needed a bit of custom database fiddling, which is why it's taken
          a while to get round to). I have some time tomorrow afternoon and will
          get closer to restoring the Recent Activity page.

          Sorry it's taken so long to get round to this.

          By the way, let me know if you notice anything particularly awry that
          might be the result of the software upgrade!

          Thanks,
          Phil

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 23, 2008
            Dear Phil,

            Thank you for all your work - it is much appreciated!
            Australian Susan

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25, 2008
              ditto

              Michael