Re: [pepysdiary] Map of London

  • Eccena@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2008
      Many of the streets and places he mentions are in London today.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2008
        Check out the map links on the pepysdiary.com site -- Phil has done a great job connecting the
        places Pepys mentions to both older and modern-day maps.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2008
          Any volume I-IX of the Latham and Matthews edition of *The Diary of Samuel
          Pepys*
          has maps of "London in the Sixteen-Sixties" in two halves, 2 pages each,
          after the text and before the "Select List of Persons" and "Select Glossary"
          that conclude the volume. These maps have lists of the buildings and landmarks
          Pepys mentions in the Diary. A photocopy of these 4 pages can be fetched
          from a library
          and should be quite helpful.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2008
            Providing you have a broadband connection you may find some help from
            the British Library's virtual exhibition (London: A Life in Maps
            http://www.bl.uk/londoninmaps ) and its google map and earth overlays.