Map of London

  • matthew
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2008
      When I read Pepy's diary I like to work out where and how far he
      travels each day.
      Is there a map of London in the 1660's I could view to give me this
      information?
    • Eccena@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2008
        Many of the streets and places he mentions are in London today.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2008
          Check out the map links on the pepysdiary.com site -- Phil has done a great job connecting the
          places Pepys mentions to both older and modern-day maps.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2008
            Any volume I-IX of the Latham and Matthews edition of *The Diary of Samuel
            Pepys*
            has maps of "London in the Sixteen-Sixties" in two halves, 2 pages each,
            after the text and before the "Select List of Persons" and "Select Glossary"
            that conclude the volume. These maps have lists of the buildings and landmarks
            Pepys mentions in the Diary. A photocopy of these 4 pages can be fetched
            from a library
            and should be quite helpful.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2008
              Providing you have a broadband connection you may find some help from
              the British Library's virtual exhibition (London: A Life in Maps
              http://www.bl.uk/londoninmaps ) and its google map and earth overlays.