Re: [pepysdiary] London's 'white slaves' (published last year)

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2008
      At 12:57 AM 4/29/2008 -0400, Ellen wrote:
      >Incidents like slave children happened in the United States when homeless
      >children from large eastern cities were put on trains and shipped to the
      >midwest to work in the fields. I'm not sure of the era.
      > Mistreating children is a criminal act.

      Though this topic-creep, concerning the "orphan trains" see

      http://www.uoregon.edu/~adoption/topics/orphan.html

      There were abuses, but also "In spite of the trains' stated intention, they
      did not permanently separate most children, geographically or culturally,
      from their parents and communities of origin. Well into the twentieth
      century, impoverished but resourceful parents took advantage of the
      services of middle-class child-savers for their own purposes, including
      temporary caretaking during periods of economic crisis and apprenticeships
      that helped children enter the labor market. "

      There were no oceans crossed.

      Terry Foreman