London's 'white slaves' (published last year)

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2008
      London's 'white slaves'

      By Caroline Davies
      Last Updated: 2:05am BST 05/04/2007

      As Britain commemorates the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the slave
      trade, new research traces the stories of the first batch of slaves sent to
      the colonies in America - not black Africans but white children from London.

      A new book, White Cargo, tells how children as young as 10 were swept off
      the city's streets and sent with convicts to work in America several months
      before the first shipment of African captives arrived in 1619. Authors Don
      Jordan and Michael Walsh say hundreds of homeless children were rounded up
      and held in the Bridewell, a workhouse and prison near Blackfriars Bridge.

      But, to disguise the fact these children were to be enslaved, officials
      sold it as giving the underprivileged a new life. In truth, the City of
      London wanted to get rid of their street children while the merchants
      behind the company colonising Virginia wanted slave labour.

      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/05/nslaves05.xml

      Also tomorrow's New York Times review "Master and Servant"

      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/books/review/Lau-t.html?ref=review
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27, 2008
        The last sentence of this synopis reminded me of the notorious child
        migration schemes which existed up until 1967 - sending children from
        orphanages in Britain to former colonies where many were used as little
        better than slave labour. See
        http://australianscreen.com.au/titles/leaving-liverpool/

        Australian Susan

        Terry Foreman wrote:

        > London's 'white slaves'
        >
        > By Caroline Davies
        > Last Updated: 2:05am BST 05/04/2007
        >
        > As Britain commemorates the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the
        > slave
        > trade, new research traces the stories of the first batch of slaves
        > sent to
        > the colonies in America - not black Africans but white children from
        > London.
        >
        > A new book, White Cargo, tells how children as young as 10 were swept off
        > the city's streets and sent with convicts to work in America several
        > months
        > before the first shipment of African captives arrived in 1619. Authors
        > Don
        > Jordan and Michael Walsh say hundreds of homeless children were
        > rounded up
        > and held in the Bridewell, a workhouse and prison near Blackfriars Bridge.
        >
        > But, to disguise the fact these children were to be enslaved, officials
        > sold it as giving the underprivileged a new life. In truth, the City of
        > London wanted to get rid of their street children while the merchants
        > behind the company colonising Virginia wanted slave labour.
        >
        > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/05/nslaves05.xml
        > <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/05/nslaves05.xml>
        >
        > Also tomorrow's New York Times review "Master and Servant"
        >
        > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/books/review/Lau-t.html?ref=review
        > <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/books/review/Lau-t.html?ref=review>

      • Gerry
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 28, 2008
          Perhaps stretching a point a bit, Susan's link is to an overpowering movie. It's available in Oz, I use ezydvd.com.au for antipodeian DVDs.
          It's PAL system so  people on this side of the Atlantic will need a player with PAL/NTSC conversion.
          Gerry1019

          Terry Foreman wrote:

          > London's 'white slaves'
          >
          > By Caroline Davies
          > Last Updated: 2:05am BST 05/04/2007
          >
          > As Britain commemorates the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the
          > slave
          > trade, new research traces the stories of the first batch of slaves
          > sent to
          > the colonies in America - not black Africans but white children from
          > London.
          >
          > A new book, White Cargo, tells how children as young as 10 were swept off
          > the city's streets and sent with convicts to work in America several
          > months
          > before the first shipment of African captives arrived in 1619. Authors
          > Don
          > Jordan and Michael Walsh say hundreds of homeless children were
          > rounded up
          > and held in the Bridewell, a workhouse and prison near Blackfriars Bridge.
          >
          > But, to disguise the fact these children were to be enslaved, officials
          > sold it as giving the underprivileged a new life. In truth, the City of
          > London wanted to get rid of their street children while the merchants
          > behind the company colonising Virginia wanted slave labour.
          >
          > http://www.telegrap h.co.uk/news/ main.jhtml? xml=/news/ 2007/04/05/ nslaves05. xml
          > <http://www.telegrap h.co.uk/news/ main.jhtml? xml=/news/ 2007/04/05/ nslaves05. xml>
          >
          > Also tomorrow's New York Times review "Master and Servant"
          >
          > http://www.nytimes. com/2008/ 04/27/books/ review/Lau- t.html?ref= review
          > <http://www.nytimes. com/2008/ 04/27/books/ review/Lau- t.html?ref= review>

        • Jenny Doughty
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 28, 2008
            Children were taken from other parts of the UK as well as London - certainly from Scotland. A friend of mine, Frances Mary Hendry, used the scenario as part of an young adult novel she wrote in which slavery was the theme - it's called Chains if anybody is interested.

            Jenny

          • Eccena@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 28, 2008
                   My father was born on Cleveland Way just off MIle End Road in 1894. His mother died when he was three, he was taken into the Dr.Bernardo homes and lived and was schooled there until he was 13 and  then sent to a family in Canada.
                   Dr.Bernardo was famous for taking pictures of the thin and bedraggled children he took off the street and then after a year's time taking another picture of the child after a year of good food and in clean clothing. From showing his successes he collected a great deal of money and, I believe, helped many children. I'm happy my father was one of them. I know that Dr. Bernardo's Homes came under scrutiny for misusing funds and the children a while ago, hopefully they are back on track.
                   The family my father went to was welcoming and treated him as one of their own. So not all of the kids off the street became slaves.
                   Incidents like slave children happened in the United States when homeless children from large eastern cities were put on trains and shipped to the midwest to work in the fields. I'm not sure of the era.
                   Mistreating children is a criminal act.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 28, 2008
                At 12:57 AM 4/29/2008 -0400, Ellen wrote:
                >Incidents like slave children happened in the United States when homeless
                >children from large eastern cities were put on trains and shipped to the
                >midwest to work in the fields. I'm not sure of the era.
                > Mistreating children is a criminal act.

                Though this topic-creep, concerning the "orphan trains" see

                http://www.uoregon.edu/~adoption/topics/orphan.html

                There were abuses, but also "In spite of the trains' stated intention, they
                did not permanently separate most children, geographically or culturally,
                from their parents and communities of origin. Well into the twentieth
                century, impoverished but resourceful parents took advantage of the
                services of middle-class child-savers for their own purposes, including
                temporary caretaking during periods of economic crisis and apprenticeships
                that helped children enter the labor market. "

                There were no oceans crossed.

                Terry Foreman