New contextual pop-up help

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2008
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2008/03/27/8426.php

      I’m not really sure what to call this. Tool-tips? Hover help? Anyway,
      you should now notice something new if you hover your mouse cursor over
      any of the linked words in Diary entries.

      Most of these pop-up tips will only show the name of the person, place
      or thing mentioned, although even this is useful when Pepys isn’t very
      specific in the Diary entry itself. But of the 2,875 Encyclopedia
      topics, I’ve written short summaries for more then 500 of them — all
      those that have Wikipedia pages associated with them.

      This leaves a lot of links without decent summaries and I’d love it if
      any of you felt like writing one or more. Just email me the text and the
      link it should be associated with (eg,
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/150.php). Summaries should be up to 60 words
      and summarise the person, place or thing in a way that will be useful
      for the life of the diary. Where possible I tended to focus particularly
      on information around the diary person, such as how a person faired upon
      the Restoration. Also, I’m not attached to any of the summaries I’ve
      written so far, so if you feel you can improve on any, do email your
      versions to me at the usual address!

      These tips won’t show up if you read the diary by email, or RSS. There’s
      also a bug that means the tip won’t show up in Internet Explorer on
      Windows if its link is at the very left hand edge of the Diary entry.
      I’m not sure if I’ll be able to fix that.

      I hope you find these useful!

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27, 2008
        Verily, you rock. The fact that you continue to improve the site while doing everything else in
        your life is astounding and inspiring! Thank you.