Hamptons.com: Gardiners Island - Ruled by a Family of Lions since the 17th century

  • terry.foreman@murraystate.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 29, 2008
      Nobility in the Colonies, loyalists at the
      Revolution, landed gentry on and on

      It is no stretch to claim that the story of eastern
      Long Island’s hamlets and villages reflects our
      national history in all of its phases—from the first
      encounters between Native Americans and European
      settlers in the 17th century right up to the present.
      In this series, each installment will be devoted to
      one East End community, to the people and
      institutions that contributed to its development over
      the past 300-odd years, and to the role each has
      played in creating this unique region known today as
      the Hamptons. To launch our series, we train our
      spotlight on Lion Gardiner (1599-1663), New York
      State’s first permanent English settler [Barons] and
      on Gardiners Island, that 3,700-acre finger of land
      off the coast of East Hampton, that he acquired in
      1639 and which has remained in the hands of Gardiner
      descendants ever since.

      Gardiners Island - Ruled by a Family of Lions:
      http://www.hamptons.com/detail.ihtml?id=1139

      Terry Foreman