Re: [pepysdiary] Fwd: Your Group has been inactive for 90 days

  • Laura Sullivan
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
      The 'on-topic' requirement has kept me from using it - I wanted to post a note about a new book I found, "Nell Gwynn" by Beauclerk. Just started reading it, and Pepys' description of her was mentioned in the first chapter. Didn't know where to put that sort of thing on the site.
      Laura S.

      Phil Gyford <phil@...> wrote:
      At 08:45 -0700 2006-07-09, Todd Bernhardt wrote:
      >Well, that depends ... if we're willing to be flexible with what we
      >discuss on the
      >PepysDiary@ Yahoo group, then probably not. But if we're not, and
      >insist on on-topic posts, then
      >it's nice to have the outlet provided by the Social list...

      Definitely, except the social list has barely been used, and not at
      all in the past three months!

      >-Todd
      >
      >--- Phil Gyford <phil@gyford. com> wrote:
      >
      >> I'm guessing there's not much point keeping the "social" list or
      >> moving it to Yahoo!...?
      >>

      >> >Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 04:01:29 +0100 (BST)
      >> >From: support.en@smartgro ups.com
      >> >To: philg@flirble. org
      >> >Subject: Your Group has been inactive for 90 days
      >> >
      >> >Dear Phil
      >> >
      >> >We note that your Pepys' Diary Social has been inactive for over 3
      >> >months. SmartGroups periodically deletes inactive Groups in order
      >> >to maintain an active database.
      >> >
      >> >If you wish to retain this Group, please post a message to the
      >> >Group, within the next 5 days. If you do this your Group, will
      >> >remain on our database.
      >> >
      >> >If you are happy for us to delete the Group, then you don't need to
      >> >do anything. We will automatically delete the Group within the next
      >> >few weeks.
      >> >
      >> >Thank you for your assistance.
      >> >
      >> >The SmartGroups team
      >> >
      >> --
      >> Phil Gyford
      >> http://www.gyford. com/
      >> tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
      >> aim: philgyford

      http://www.gyford. com/
      tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
      aim: philgyford

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
        At 13:14 -0300 2006-07-09, Bob Terry wrote:
        >How does the Social List/Group work?

        The same as this list, except you can talk about anything - it
        doesn't have to be Pepys related.

        Or is that not what you meant?

        tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
        aim: philgyford
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
          At 09:16 -0700 2006-07-09, Laura Sullivan wrote:
          >The 'on-topic' requirement has kept me from using it - I wanted to
          >post a note about a new book I found, "Nell Gwynn" by Beauclerk.
          >Just started reading it, and Pepys' description of her was mentioned
          >in the first chapter. Didn't know where to put that sort of thing on
          >the site.
          Laura S.

          I'm not quite sure what you mean Laura... I was saying the social
          list, which is devoted to off-topic conversation, has been quiet
          since it was started. Although it sounds like this book is certainly
          related to Pepys and/or his time, so you could post about it here. Or
          does that not answer your question?

          tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
          aim: philgyford
        • Bob Terry
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
            The list would probably get more use if  you ran a short List 101.  I'm familiar with MSN's procedures, but not Yahoo's.
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
              At 14:05 -0300 2006-07-09, Bob Terry wrote:
              The list would probably get more use if you ran a short List 101.
              I'm familiar with MSN's procedures, but not Yahoo's.

              The social list is currently on SmartGroups, rather than Yahoo - the
              question is whether it's worth moving to Yahoo if no one uses it.

              What sort of procedures do you mean Bob? I've been using Yahoo for so
              long it seems normal to me, so it's hard for me to tell what's
              peculiar about it!

              tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
              aim: philgyford
            • Matt Lee
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
                I see no need for a social group.  Other than rare bursts of off-topic enthusiasm, this group is fairly disciplined about staying on topic.

                Matt

                mailto:mlee@...

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
                  What sort of procedures do you mean Bob? I've been using Yahoo for so
                  long it seems normal to me, so it's hard for me to tell what's
                  peculiar about it!

                  Well, where to find it for a start and how to log on/in.  Once there, it is probably just a question of following the dots.  I've avoided Yahoo as much as possible, because in North America at least, the groups, chat rooms, and so on, are zoos, and there's a good chance that you'll be spammed off the planet.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
                    At 14:38 -0300 2006-07-09, Bob Terry wrote:
                    >Well, where to find it for a start and how to log on/in. Once
                    >there, it is probably just a question of following the dots. I've
                    >avoided Yahoo as much as possible,

                    There's a link at the bottom of every email that should contain a
                    link to this group on the website. If not, here's the link:

                    >because in North America at least, the groups, chat rooms, and so
                    >on, are zoos, and there's a good chance that you'll be spammed off
                    >the planet.

                    Fair enough, although it's never been my experience of the groups I'm
                    a member of.

                  • Peg Helmholz
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
                      Yahoo? I don't find them to be a source of spam here in NY, which is sort of
                      part of North America.

                      Seriously, the social list seems unnecessary. Most of the time people are so
                      good about sticking to Sam and His Life & Times, and it's not a capital
                      offense to go off-topic once in awhile, for pete's sake. That's how our
                      minds explore and grow and learn to ask questions - like Sam1.
                    • Eccena@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
                         I prefer this group because I do not have to hunt it up. I get on the web and the entries are there.

                        ellen
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
                          From Phil:
                          > Definitely, except the social list has barely been used, and not at
                          > all in the past three months!

                          True enough, but again, it's nice to have an as outlet if we need it. IIRC, the social group
                          started as a result of an outpouring of discussion surrounding Katrina and New Orleans, and a
                          member of the group who had fled the city. As a community that has grown up around our common
                          interest in Pepys (and history, and its relation to current events, I think I can safely say), we
                          were all interested in her plight and updates. Many wanted it to continue, yet the discussion was
                          definitely not Pepys-related, so we found another avenue. Who's to say when another event may
                          occur that might make us want to use that outlet again?

                          I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here ... if the majority don't see the need for the alternate
                          list, that's fine with me. Thanks for bringing this up, Phil, and for everything you do to help
                          bring and keep us together.

                          -Todd
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 9, 2006
                            In the aftermath of Katrina, many of us, feeling a sense of community, were concerned when one of us was caught up in that and our reactions showed, I think, that we have a need to communicate very much off-topic occasionally and we should have an independent outlet for this as neither the Pepys Discussion Group not the diary site itself is appropriate. If it is not too much trouble, I would like there to be a Social Group.

                            Thank you, Phil, for all your work.

                            Susan

                            >>> beat_town@... 10/07/2006 11:33:52 am >>>
                            From Phil:
                            > Definitely, except the social list has barely been used, and not at
                            > all in the past three months!

                            True enough, but again, it's nice to have an as outlet if we need it. IIRC, the social group
                            started as a result of an outpouring of discussion surrounding Katrina and New Orleans, and a
                            member of the group who had fled the city. As a community that has grown up around our common
                            interest in Pepys (and history, and its relation to current events, I think I can safely say), we
                            were all interested in her plight and updates. Many wanted it to continue, yet the discussion was
                            definitely not Pepys-related, so we found another avenue. Who's to say when another event may
                            occur that might make us want to use that outlet again?

                            I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here ... if the majority don't see the need for the alternate
                            list, that's fine with me. Thanks for bringing this up, Phil, and for everything you do to help
                            bring and keep us together.

                            -Todd

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Naomi
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                              All other Yahoo Groups that I belong to have the occasional OT
                              discussion. The Social Group only received 21 messages during its
                              existence and has not been used since the beginning of January. Would
                              it not be possible to allow some OT discussions on this Group rather
                              than having two overlapping Groups?

                              Naomi
                            • Mark Peaty
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                                My 2¢ worth: I find that my Mozilla Thunderbird [and is that or is it not a pretentious name?] email client allows me to keep track of different conversation threads in the various email groups I follow. A relatively simple trick is to set up filters which move new messages to their respective subject folders. If vanilla Mozilla can do it, I'm sure Netscape can, and I do a similar thing with the MS Outlook I use at work. If you use a range of folders like this, the most up to date version of Mozilla lets you set a 'retention policy' for each folder and this allows you to have 'old' messages automatically deleted. Outlook has a similar process it calls 'auto-archiving'.
                                [and of course 'old' is what you define it as for each folder]

                                And, just for the record, can I make a vote of thanks to all the incorrigible  no, irrepressible! annotators who add immeasurably to both the entertainment value and the mind expanding, educational historico-socio-politico-whatchammacallit, value of the diary.

                                Our Samuel is an amazing character when you consider the energy with which he goes about his life and work. One thing we have to infer rather than often read, it seems to me, is that he had to plan each day rather well due to the distances he had to travel to keep appointments; having his 'boy' or a paid messenger run somewhere with a note was nothing like having phones, SMS, and email for keeping tabs on colleagues and clients.

                                I sometimes wonder just how much of a sense of humour Sam has. He is, I think, an extrovert who thinks. This is what allows him to do so much and not get bogged down in ruminations. He wants to know how things work and why things happen but doesn't get deeply obsessed -  except of course when persons named Pemberton seem to spend a lot of time in the vicinity of his wife. If Mr Pepys had been an introvert, like me for example, his diary might have been deep and meaningful but we would never have heard about it because he didn't do anything particularly interesting. However he often says: '... and we were very merry' or some such, yet he does not seem to joke with himself in the diary.

                                Another thing that struck me, which maybe reflects more on me than him, is that in his reporting of the 'recent' victory of the Portuguese over the Spanish which seemed to feature some significant help from the Brits, there seems to be no trace of horror in his relating that 10,000 men perished. On the contrary, he seems more interested in the reputation and prestige of the English 'Horse'.

                                Regards

                                Mark Peaty
                                mpeaty@...
                                http://www.arach.net.au/~mpeaty/
                                http://eiffel.dcc.ufla.br/focus/index.php

                                Eccena@... wrote:

                                 I prefer this group because I do not have to hunt it up. I get on the web and the entries are there.

                                ellen

                                Virus Database (VPS): 0628-1, 10/07/2006
                                Tested on: 10/07/2006 10:15:26 PM

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 10, 2006
                                  At 11:18 +0000 2006-07-10, Naomi wrote:
                                  >All other Yahoo Groups that I belong to have the occasional OT
                                  >discussion. The Social Group only received 21 messages during its
                                  >existence and has not been used since the beginning of January. Would
                                  >it not be possible to allow some OT discussions on this Group rather
                                  >than having two overlapping Groups?

                                  It's possible, but it will always cause friction - there are some
                                  people who *only* want Pepys-related stuff, and others who have the
                                  time and/or inclination to be much more "sociable" within this
                                  community. So what's a slight diversion off topic for one person is
                                  an annoyance for someone else.

                                  I'll set up a new Yahoo! list for it, so as to keep things in one
                                  place, and you can join it or not as desired.

                                  tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
                                  aim: philgyford