Re: [pepysdiary] Site News: Recent Press

  • fluffgmail
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 20, 2008

      On 20 Feb 2008, at 18:39, Phil Gyford wrote:

      The creator, British actor Phil Gyford,

      My word! You're an actor too?
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 20, 2008
        Oops, I initially forgot to include a bit from this week's 'Time Out'...

        And finally, we're described as one of the '50 Best London Websites'
        <http://www.timeout.com/london/features/4273/2.html> in this week's
        issue of <cite>Time Out</cite>, the London listings magazine:

        If blogs had existed in the seventeenth century, Samuel Pepys would
        have had one - and it probably would have looked a bit like this.
        It's a pet project by web consultant Phil Gyford in which Pepys'
        diary entries are presented in real time, starting in 2003. It's an
        odd approach, but makes the man's work digestible and rewards daily
        visits.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 20, 2008
          At 18:43 +0000 2008-02-20, fluffgmail wrote:
          On 20 Feb 2008, at 18:39, Phil Gyford wrote:

          >>The creator, British actor Phil Gyford,

          >My word! You're an actor too?

          Well, an acting student at the moment. Don't hold your breath :)

          Lots more here about my current studies, if you're trying to avoid work!
          http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/acting/education/lispa/

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2012
            I just posted a summary of recent press coverage of the site. Rather than trying to reformat it for this email, it's probably simpler if you visit it on the website: http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2012/06/03/13840.php

            Making all the links and quotes work here would be a bit tricky!

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2012
              As ever and always - many thanks, Phil!!

              On 3 June 2012 20:04, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:

              I just posted a summary of recent press coverage of the site. Rather than trying to reformat it for this email, it's probably simpler if you visit it on the website: http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2012/06/03/13840.php

              Making all the links and quotes work here would be a bit tricky!

              Kind regards,

              Susan Thomas

              Emphron Informatics
              Level 3 88 Jephson St
              TOOWONG
              QLD 4066

              Office: +61 7 3503 1765
              Mobile: 0411 094 688
              Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

              Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.

            • Eric Mills
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2012
                This may be an inappropriate post in which case I apologise but will soldier on nonetheless ... The other 17th Century Diarist (John Evelyn) is ripe for the Gyford Treatment ... However, and here's the rub. Dear old Pepys covered a mere 10 years ... and look at the effort and time that Phi Gyford has put in over the years - John Evelyn's diary (discovered in a clothes basket 11 years after his death) covers 60 years of pretty detailed observations.
                As a 'Teaser' I include a (carefully chosen) random sample:

                6th September, 1651. I went with my wife to St. Germains, to condole with Mr. Waller's loss. I carried with me and treated at dinner that excellent and pious person the Dean of St. Paul's, Dr. Stewart, and Sir Lewis Dives (half-brother to the Earl of Bristol), who entertained us with his wonderful escape out of prison in Whitehall, the very evening before he was to have been put to death, leaping down out of a jakes two stories high into the Thames at high water, in the coldest of winter, and at night; so as by swimming he got to a boat that attended for him, though he was guarded by six musketeers. After this, he went about in women's habit, and then in a small-coal-man's, traveling 200 miles on foot, embarked for Scotland with some men he had raised, who coming on shore were all surprised and imprisoned on the Marquis of Montrose's score; he not knowing anything of their barbarous murder of that hero. This he told us was his fifth escape, and none less miraculous;

                I am in the process of transcribing the Diary into html 4.01 format and have got to year 24 ... and that is only putting the text into a reasonably readable format - still to come are the notes that will make sense of, for example, references to the Comet of 1618, the Emperor Matthias and his Bohemians etc, etc.

                What I'm getting round to saying is, is there anyone 'out there' in the Pepysian Community who would be interested in getting involved in a project which will be but a pale reflection of what Phil has achived but which would be something not yet done ?
                Having 'baited' the hook I wait with bated breath for any interested responses - this would be a sort of distributed intellectual computation exercise
                - Oh. Yes, a really good knowledge of Latin, Italian (17th century, naturally), plants, painting, politics (etc ad infinitum) would be really useful.

                Hopefully,
                Eric.
                (PS: I got 9% for Latin at School).

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2012
                  Hi Eric,

                  I've often wondered about Evelyn's diary, and wished there was a good home for it online. (NOT that I'm suggesting I want to make one :)    ).

                  Simply making a site that had one diary entry per page, with sensible URLs, would be a really good initial target. Then I could link to them from Sam's diary entries easily!

                  Adding all the contextual information is, as we all know, a never-ending additional goal...

                  Feel free to drop me a line any time if there's anything I can offer advice about.

                  Phil

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4, 2012
                    Hi Phil,
                    Sorry about the typo Phi-(Beta-Kappa) in the earlier posting.
                    Your offer of a per diem link system is good - plenty of time to sort that out though.

                    The 'sensible' url would be, in my humble opinion, would be something like:
                    http://where-ever-it-is.com/16510906.htm
                    which would point at the entry that I partially quoted in the original posting.

                    I'm currently using a 'hover text' javascript that seems to work quite well for giving detail of words/items I don't think are common ... for example, it may be that the 'jakes' qukoted in the sample is: a toilet, especially an outdoor one.
                    which, if true, would make the item even more hilarious !

                    Enough of this banter - my sore nose to the grindstone again !

                    I hope you that, later on, don't regret your unstinting offer of help. Thanks.

                    In friendship,
                    Eric.

                    To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 5, 2012
                        Hello Susan,
                        Thank you for your kind offer of help ... the potential team is growing. **
                        You are right about the 'jakes' ... I had originally thought, from my somewhat patchy memory, that it was too 'slangy' to be within the era-range ... but it is surprising how many apparently modern words/phrases are deeply rooted in the past. I must admit that that particular 'episode' sounds a bit like a "pre-write" of Sir Harry Flashman on a good day!

                        As a reward to you and so that you can get in the swing of things, here are a couple of links to pdf versions of the 1901 edition I am working from:
                        Volume 1:
                        http://ia700304.us.archive.org/17/items/diaryofjohnevely01eveliala/diaryofjohnevely01eveliala.pdf
                        Volume 2:
                        http://ia600308.us.archive.org/7/items/diaryofjohnevely02eveliala/diaryofjohnevely02eveliala.pdf

                        They are both about 20 MegaBytes in length and can be viewed using Adobe's Acrobat Viewer - I use the 100%-view so that I can distinguish between the various accented characters and decipher the italicised bits. (Those are the places where my OCR stuff falls down a bit and manual editing is needed to translate it into internetesque gobble-dey-gook).

                        About MQOS and her jakes visit - a shame your thunder had already been stolen but it was brilliant that the anecdote was reinforced by the double telling ... Memories are made of this - lucky kids.

                        ** I may have acquired a host, a botanist and now a Latinist.
                        Anyone else who wishes to step up to the plate would be welcomed aboard (mixed metaphor - but you know what I mean) - However, and it is a big However, we are talking a biggish thing ... I mentioned 60 years span - that is the number of years I haven't yet processed. So, we are not talking about publishing-a-page-per-day-rate - which is why I am looking for 'farming out' editing, proof-reading and the like.

                        In friendship,
                        Eric.

                        To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com