History in the Making: How Early Modern Britain Imagined Its Past

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2 12:32 AM
      Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington D.C.,
      January 24–May 17, 2008 10am–5pm
      Curator(s): Alan Stewart and Garrett Sullivan

      Early modern Britain sought in numerous ways to reconcile its present
      with a past visibly at odds with it. Facing the dynastic and religious
      upheavals caused by the Wars of the Roses and the Protestant
      Reformation, the British tried to account for their present by
      rewriting the past.

      This exhibit considers the ways in which the early modern British
      made, and remade, their own history. "Making History" focuses on how
      key events, such as the controversial execution of Mary Queen of Scots
      or the murderous Gunpowder Plot, were interpreted in the period, as
      well as on crucial ideas that helped shaped those interpretations.

      It also examines some of the period's most important figures, both
      real (Charles I) and imaginary (Shakespeare's Falstaff), and the roles
      they played in the making of British Renaissance history.

      Exhibition website starting at:-
      http://www.folger.edu/template.cfm?cid=2563
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2 10:52 AM
        Thinks, Michael. This links to some really great stuff.