Re: Happy New Year

  • falstaff3456
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2008
      Phil,

      I am a teacher in Massachusetts, and I discovered your Pepys Diary
      several years ago, if memory serves me correctly, while performing
      research for the novel I am writing, "The Barrister's Daughter," a
      historical novel for young adolescents that takes place in London
      about 90 years after Pepys' death. I am now in the habit of visiting
      the site nearly every day. I think it is a wonderful place explore,
      extremely user-friendly, and attractively laid out.

      I am not surprised by the statistics that you shared in this thread
      about the number of people who visit the site every day. Pepys is a
      fascinating personality.

      I have not had time to explore the threads in this discussion group,
      but I feel confident that I will meet others who share my interest in
      English history. I am eager to discuss the subject matter and learn
      what people have say about the current research on the topic. In
      particular, I'd like to know what biographies on Pepys are
      recommended.

      Furthermore, I'm interested to learn how the biographers Peter
      Ackroyd and Simon Schama are perceived by members of this group. I
      have greatly enjoyed the work of both of these men on English history.

      Anyway, I hope you can forgive my American spelling and know that I
      am very grateful for the hardwork that you've done creating the Web
      site.

      Highest Regards,

      Roger W

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
        Hi Roger,

        There's a page about biographies of Pepys in the Encyclopedia which
        you might find useful: http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/2430.php

        I know very little about Ackroyd and Schama, but maybe others here
        have opinions...

        I'm glad you like the site and I hope you continue to do so over the
        coming years!

        Cheers,
        Phil