Happy New Year

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      I just posted an article on my personal site hopefully encouraging
      some new readers to give Pepys a try:
      http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2007/12/31/a_new_years_reso.php

      I doubt we'll see a flood, but every little helps :)

      In lieu of the article I keep promising on the Pepys site's
      statistics, this one features a summary:

      * In the past month: 58,971 visits (31,803 unique), 141,122 pageviews.
      * 2,025 subscribers to the RSS feed of diary entries.
      * 6,598 annotations posted by users explaining Encyclopedia topics.
      * 37,503 annotations posted to daily diary entries (around
      10-30 every day).

      Happy New Year!

    • falstaff3456
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2008
        Phil,

        I am a teacher in Massachusetts, and I discovered your Pepys Diary
        several years ago, if memory serves me correctly, while performing
        research for the novel I am writing, "The Barrister's Daughter," a
        historical novel for young adolescents that takes place in London
        about 90 years after Pepys' death. I am now in the habit of visiting
        the site nearly every day. I think it is a wonderful place explore,
        extremely user-friendly, and attractively laid out.

        I am not surprised by the statistics that you shared in this thread
        about the number of people who visit the site every day. Pepys is a
        fascinating personality.

        I have not had time to explore the threads in this discussion group,
        but I feel confident that I will meet others who share my interest in
        English history. I am eager to discuss the subject matter and learn
        what people have say about the current research on the topic. In
        particular, I'd like to know what biographies on Pepys are
        recommended.

        Furthermore, I'm interested to learn how the biographers Peter
        Ackroyd and Simon Schama are perceived by members of this group. I
        have greatly enjoyed the work of both of these men on English history.

        Anyway, I hope you can forgive my American spelling and know that I
        am very grateful for the hardwork that you've done creating the Web
        site.

        Highest Regards,

        Roger W

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2008
          Hi Roger,

          There's a page about biographies of Pepys in the Encyclopedia which
          you might find useful: http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/2430.php

          I know very little about Ackroyd and Schama, but maybe others here
          have opinions...

          I'm glad you like the site and I hope you continue to do so over the
          coming years!

          Cheers,
          Phil