mouse ear and FOOD IN EARLY MODERN ENGLAND

  • dustrat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2007

      Great article, and thanks for the clarification about mouse ear.  Though actual mouse ear wouldn't be that wild, I read recently about a 17th c. medication made out of millipedes.

      I wanted to mention FOOD IN EARLY MODERN ENGLAND, by Joan Thirsk.  (I hope I'm not duplicating an earlier mention.)  It's got fabulous detail on the preserving and preparing of food in Sam's time.  A woodcock pie sealed with butter would keep for several months, for exampe.  Interestingly, though Sam's diaries are in the general bibliography, he's not in the book itself, though many letters and diaries of his contemporaries are discussed.  Perhaps because Thirsk felt his diaries had already been thoroughly discussed?  Thirsk is a well known scholar of agricultural practices in early modern England.  Anyway, in spite of the fact that it doesn't mention Sam, I found it fascinating.  It's well worth a look.

      Kit