Site News: Awards and an interview

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2007
      Most of you on this list will be familiar with most of the post
      below, but the last paragraph contains a link to an audio interview
      with me which will be new to you!

      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2007/11/10/8045.php

      First of all a big "thank you" to those of you who voted for Pepys'
      Diary in the 2007 Weblog Awards for Best Literature Blog
      <http://2007.weblogawards.org/polls/best-literature-blog-1.php>. It
      was a close-run thing toward the end. The day before voting closed we
      were 3-400 votes behind Neil Gaiman's
      Journal<http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal> but on the final day we'd
      caught up and got nearly 100 votes ahead. So thanks to all of you who
      made the effort, and particularly those of you who emailed many more
      people asking for their support (and thanks to all the friends and
      colleagues of mine who voted and encouraged others to take part too).

      Unfortunately, a couple of hours before polling closed, Gaiman posted
      a reminder <http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2007/11/reminder.html>
      about the awards on his site and his many fans swiftly saw him add
      around 1,500 votes before it was all over.

      When one is ahead in votes like these then the award seems like a
      perfectly judged validation of a site's quality. But as soon as
      someone overtakes the whole thing seems easily dismissable as a
      trivial popularity contest! No matter, it was a lot of fun, and
      congratulations to all the other sites who were also nominated.
      Ultimately the award is only a reflection of how many readers a site
      has and how much the site owner is willing to encourage them to vote
      (I suspect McSweeney's <http://www.mcsweeneys.net> would have been
      first or second if they'd linked to the awards).

      On the final day of polling Hans Dekker of the Wordsy weblog
      <http://www.wordsy.com/> interviewed me about Pepys' Diary and the
      awards and he's just posted the edited half hour MP3
      <http://www.wordsy.com/podcast/2007-nov-10-episode_-twp018_final_hans_dekker>
      on his site. I hope you find it interesting listening!