Re: [pepysdiary] Re: Voting Crunch Time!

  • Pauline Benson
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 9, 2007
      Dear Phil,

      I would be interested in knowing what we were up against--other that
      the fact that Neil's blog is very popular. Are there statistics for
      readership and page hits you can give us. I thought we were a
      relatively small group making an impassioned show against a giant. And
      I was proud of our round-the-globe strength.

      Were we toyed with? And then swatted down?

      (And I still don't know what his blog is about.)

      Pauline

      On 11/9/07, Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...> wrote:

      > Web pages can be encoded to produce results like that, according to the
      > Search Engine Report. This Neil is surely very clever.
      >
      > Terry
    • Shawn Laasch
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 10, 2007
        Just so everyone knows, Neil co-adapted the current version of Beowulf
        that's just hit the US cinemas. He has a certain connection to
        pre-Modern English literature, although most of his fame comes from
        fantasy literature and graphic novels.

        --
        Visit http://laasch.net for design and development needs.
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 10, 2007
          At 22:08 -0800 2007-11-09, Pauline Benson wrote:

          >I would be interested in knowing what we were up against--other that
          >the fact that Neil's blog is very popular. Are there statistics for
          >readership and page hits you can give us. I thought we were a
          >relatively small group making an impassioned show against a giant. And
          >I was proud of our round-the-globe strength.

          I've been intending to write a Site News post about statistics on the
          site for a while, so precise statistics can wait until then (soon!).

          Alexa is a handy guide to comparative popularity of sites - I've
          heard it can be very innacurate at times, but it's better than
          nothing. Here's a graph comparing the two sites:

          http://tinyurl.com/27x2xe

          I included McSweeney's, which was also listed, and I think that if
          they'd lowered themselves to link to the awards then they'd have
          given Gaiman a run for his money as they're also popular (I'm
          surprised Alexa suggests Gaiman is as popular as McSweeney's).

          >(And I still don't know what his blog is about.)

          I think it's just a website where he posts stuff about his writing
          and answers questions from fans. Which is fair enough.