Re: VOTE

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2007
      isn't *every* election a popularity contest,

      or as a 'realist' friend of mine was wont to remark, 'the major
      problem in giving people the vote is that then they start to believe
      they live in a democracy.'

      --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Todd Bernhardt <beat_town@...> wrote:

      > Funny that you point that out, Terry. The friend whom I quoted in my
      other note asked for my
      > quid-pro-quo vote for Bad Astronomy in this category, which of
      course I was happy to do.

      > As for the skepticism, though -- isn't *every* election a popularity
      contest, a matter of some
      > people convincing other people to vote for their person? We'd all
      like it to be determined by
      > who's best on the issues, but as far as I can see, that's always
      been a myth. Should the 'net be
      > any different? (It is in one way, I suppose, and this is one more
      reason why we need paper ballots
      > for the "real" elections...)
      >
      > --- Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The vote in other blog categories was stacked.
      > >
      > > Right Wing Campaigns To Get Climate Skeptic's Blog Named 'Best
      Science
      > > Blog' In Weblog Awards
      > > http://thinkprogress.org/2007/11/08/weblog-science-denial/
      > >
      > > Non-scientific results apply across the board. This is not sour
      grapes,
      > > but a bit of deserved skepticism about the way the awards are made.
      > >
      > > Terry
      > >
      > > At 10:16 AM 11/8/2007 -0800, you wrote:
      > > >Neil announced on his blog that Pepys' Diary was ahead and now
      the votes
      > > >are streaming in for his blog.
      > > >
      > > >Do what you can! Vote, find votes.
      > > >
      > > >four hours to go!!!

    • Peter Easton
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2007
        Very well done to Phil.

        I have two favourite blog sites: pepysdiary.com which came second in
        its category - as you know; and climateaudit.org, which came joint
        first in the 'science' category. Please don't make the mistake - as
        implied below - that 'climateaudit' is a "climate skeptic's blog". It
        is run by a retired scientist/engineer who has taken the effort to
        cross-check some of the science behind the case for manmade global
        warming, and has found some very interesting results - some of which
        have forced NASA and UN IPCC to amend or correct some errors or
        oversights. Definitely worth a look if you have scientific
        leanings.

        --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...>