Re: [pepysdiary] Voting Crunch Time!

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
      Dammit! We're behind again, by more than 360 votes. Gaiman just put an entry up on his blog,
      asking for votes, and it seems to be working.

      Jeannine's entreaty is a good one! Mine those address books -- I just sent out a request to 50+
      friends asking for their vote ... if we all do that, we might be able to make the difference in
      these final three hours (or so) of the voting.

      Remember, each computer you vote from is counted as a separate vote!

      -Todd

      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
        I hate to admit defeat in advance, but he's only had the link on his
        site for less than an hour and he's gone from nearly 100 votes behind
        to 500 ahead...

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
          Now he's up by more than 1200. I say we complain about click fraud.

          Something fishy *is* going on. Why does our number have a comma, and his doesn't? Hmmm...?

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
            At 13:01 -0800 2007-11-08, Todd Bernhardt wrote:
            >Now he's up by more than 1200. I say we complain about click fraud.

            No, he's just well-known and has a popular website.

            >Something fishy *is* going on. Why does our number have a comma, and
            >his doesn't? Hmmm...?

            Bad programming!

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
              > >Now he's up by more than 1200. I say we complain about click fraud.
              >
              > No, he's just well-known and has a popular website.

              Yeah, I dig. Poor attempt at humor ... was going to add something about going to the Supreme
              Court, but realized we're the Good Guys (and Gals) and don't want to be on that side of it.

              It was a valiant effort, all! To paraphrase that old ad campaign by Avis, we came in second, but
              we try harder!
            • faucheux33
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
                It was an exhilarating effort, and Sam WAS ahead today. How many
                people now know about the site who did not before, who will become
                regular readers and commentators. We made a good run at this, and I
                wonder how Sam, from his broader perspective out there in infinity,
                views it all. And, Phil, whatever the numbers say, we KNOW that this
                is the best site, and that you have made it so. To you.

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
                  Linda,

                  I join you in lifting a glass to Phil.

                  I do think that the GOT [get out the vote] effort will, as you suggest,
                  recruit more readers. One who replied to my request for support said she
                  was very glad to find Pepys Diary online.

                  To you, Phil!

                  Terry

                  At 12:00 AM 11/9/2007 +0000, you wrote:
                  >It was an exhilarating effort, and Sam WAS ahead today. How many
                  >people now know about the site who did not before, who will become
                  >regular readers and commentators. We made a good run at this, and I
                  >wonder how Sam, from his broader perspective out there in infinity,
                  >views it all. And, Phil, whatever the numbers say, we KNOW that this
                  >is the best site, and that you have made it so. To you.

                  > > > No, he's just well-known and has a popular website.
                  > >
                  > > Yeah, I dig. Poor attempt at humor ... was going to add something
                  >about going to the Supreme
                  > > Court, but realized we're the Good Guys (and Gals) and don't want to
                  >be on that side of it.
                  > >
                  > > It was a valiant effort, all! To paraphrase that old ad campaign by
                  >Avis, we came in second, but
                  > > we try harder!
                  > >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Pauline Benson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
                    It WAS an exhilarating effort!

                    The student employees -- each at a computer :) -- in my office were wide-eyed as I told them about the original blogger who was hard at it back in 1660 for ten years and was now ahead in a 21st-Century blog award contest.

                    Yes, to Phil!

                    All my friends and co-workers salute you too!

                    On 11/8/07, Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...> wrote:

                    Linda,

                    I join you in lifting a glass to Phil.

                    I do think that the GOT [get out the vote] effort will, as you suggest,
                    recruit more readers. One who replied to my request for support said she
                    was very glad to find Pepys Diary online.

                    To you, Phil!

                    Terry

                    At 12:00 AM 11/9/2007 +0000, you wrote:
                    >It was an exhilarating effort, and Sam WAS ahead today. How many
                    >people now know about the site who did not before, who will become
                    >regular readers and commentators. We made a good run at this, and I
                    >wonder how Sam, from his broader perspective out there in infinity,
                    >views it all. And, Phil, whatever the numbers say, we KNOW that this
                    >is the best site, and that you have made it so. To you.

                    > > > No, he's just well-known and has a popular website.
                    > >
                    > > Yeah, I dig. Poor attempt at humor ... was going to add something
                    >about going to the Supreme
                    > > Court, but realized we're the Good Guys (and Gals) and don't want to
                    >be on that side of it.
                    > >
                    > > It was a valiant effort, all! To paraphrase that old ad campaign by
                    >Avis, we came in second, but
                    > > we try harder!
                    > >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • fluffgmail
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
                      Yes!

                      To Phil and Sam!

                      And to the community!

                      !

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
                        Great effort, everyone and we were ahead for a time. Maybe there will be
                        many more people joining us in the 17th century and appreciating all the
                        wit and erudition. Great distraction from the wedding for me, too...
                        Thank you, thank you Phil, for your original brilliant idea.
                        A.S.

                      • dustrat@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 8, 2007
                          Appreciating all the beautifully worded toasts, and lifting my glass to Phil and Sam.   Kit

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 9, 2007
                            A friend of mine, whom I'd enlisted in the effort, had this to say:

                            >>And the fact that your blog could even *compete* will Neil Gaiman is
                            something to be proud of! Did you know that if you put "neil" into Google,
                            Gaiman's site is the top listing?<<

                            I guess, in this instance, second's not so bad! (As if we needed the validation anyway ... we know
                            we're all winners...)

                            And so back to work.
                            -Todd

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 9, 2007
                              Web pages can be encoded to produce results like that, according to the
                              Search Engine Report. This Neil is surely very clever.

                              Terry

                            • Pauline Benson
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 9, 2007
                                Dear Phil,

                                I would be interested in knowing what we were up against--other that
                                the fact that Neil's blog is very popular. Are there statistics for
                                readership and page hits you can give us. I thought we were a
                                relatively small group making an impassioned show against a giant. And
                                I was proud of our round-the-globe strength.

                                Were we toyed with? And then swatted down?

                                (And I still don't know what his blog is about.)

                                Pauline

                                On 11/9/07, Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...> wrote:

                                > Web pages can be encoded to produce results like that, according to the
                                > Search Engine Report. This Neil is surely very clever.
                                >
                                > Terry
                              • Shawn Laasch
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 10, 2007
                                  Just so everyone knows, Neil co-adapted the current version of Beowulf
                                  that's just hit the US cinemas. He has a certain connection to
                                  pre-Modern English literature, although most of his fame comes from
                                  fantasy literature and graphic novels.

                                  --
                                  Visit http://laasch.net for design and development needs.
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 10, 2007
                                    At 22:08 -0800 2007-11-09, Pauline Benson wrote:

                                    >I would be interested in knowing what we were up against--other that
                                    >the fact that Neil's blog is very popular. Are there statistics for
                                    >readership and page hits you can give us. I thought we were a
                                    >relatively small group making an impassioned show against a giant. And
                                    >I was proud of our round-the-globe strength.

                                    I've been intending to write a Site News post about statistics on the
                                    site for a while, so precise statistics can wait until then (soon!).

                                    Alexa is a handy guide to comparative popularity of sites - I've
                                    heard it can be very innacurate at times, but it's better than
                                    nothing. Here's a graph comparing the two sites:

                                    http://tinyurl.com/27x2xe

                                    I included McSweeney's, which was also listed, and I think that if
                                    they'd lowered themselves to link to the awards then they'd have
                                    given Gaiman a run for his money as they're also popular (I'm
                                    surprised Alexa suggests Gaiman is as popular as McSweeney's).

                                    >(And I still don't know what his blog is about.)

                                    I think it's just a website where he posts stuff about his writing
                                    and answers questions from fans. Which is fair enough.