Site News: Temperature and politics

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2007
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2007/10/28/8013.php

      I have added a bit of extra contextual information in the sidebar
      next to every diary entry. You can now see:

      * The average temperature for that month (daily data isn't available
      until 1772) as recorded by Gordon Manley of the Royal Meteorological
      Society. You can view the full dataset on the Met Office's website
      <http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cetml1659on.dat>.

      * Links to the relevant daily Journals for the House of Commons
      <http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=113> and House of
      Lords <http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=37> from
      British History Online. These will hopefully give some context to
      Pepys' more political activities.

      My thanks to Terry Foreman for finding both these sources of
      information that help bring Pepys' world alive. If anyone can suggest
      anything else, do let me know.

      Examples: http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1664/05/

    • dustrat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 2007

        Thanks for this great info, Phil and Terry!  I'm esp. interested in the temperature data for 1683 and 1684, as I'm interested in the Great Frost which began Dec. 15 1683 and ended Feb. 5 1684.  Does anyone happen to know of anything Pepys wrote during that period?  I've looked at his published correspondence with Evelyn, and there's nothing relevant.  It's almost incredible that he wouldn't have penned a line about coaches plying the frozen Thames, the Frost Fair on the river, etc.  to SOMEone.   Kit