Site News: Get Pepys' Diary by email

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2007
      Get Pepys' Diary by email
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2007/10/13/7962.php

      The most requested feature for the site has been
      to receive daily diary entries by email. It may
      have taken me nearly five years for me to manage
      this but, finally, it's now possible.

      To subscribe you simply need to visit the
      subscription form
      <http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/emailverifySubmit?feedId=1245958&loc=en_US>
      and fill in your email address. You'll receive an
      email asking you to confirm your address and then
      you're done. After a new diary entry is published
      on the site you'll receive it by email. There are
      instructions for unsubscribing at the end of
      every daily email you'll receive.

      A couple of caveatsŠ It could be a few hours
      after a diary entry is published that you receive
      it by email, so this isn't the way to go if you
      want your daily dose immediately. You also won't
      see any of the annotations by email, so you'll
      still have to visit the site if you want those.
      If your email client is fairly modern (accepts
      HTML email) then you'll still get links to
      Encyclopedia pages within the diary entry (this
      works fine in Gmail for example); otherwise
      you'll just see the text with no links.

      The email process is handled by FeedBurner
      <http://www.feedburner.com/>, where all this
      site's RSS feeds
      <http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/formats/> now
      live, and has worked for the past week while I've
      been testing it, but let me know (below or by
      email) if you experience problems.

    • Barbara Howard
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2007
        Thank you so much for taking the trouble to do this and to notify me of same. I have taken
        up the offer as I have found my reading of the diary dropped off and I'm so glad to resume
        with this (more or less) daily nudge. Thanks again for all the work you do and time you put
        in on this!
        Barbara

        --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:

        > Get Pepys' Diary by email
        > http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2007/10/13/7962.php
        >
        > The most requested feature for the site has been
        > to receive daily diary entries by email. It may
        > have taken me nearly five years for me to manage
        > this but, finally, it's now possible.
        >
        > To subscribe you simply need to visit the
        > subscription form
        > <http://www.feedburner.com/fb/a/emailverifySubmit?feedId=1245958&loc=en_US>
        > and fill in your email address. You'll receive an
        > email asking you to confirm your address and then
        > you're done. After a new diary entry is published
        > on the site you'll receive it by email. There are
        > instructions for unsubscribing at the end of
        > every daily email you'll receive.
        >
        > A couple of caveatsŠ It could be a few hours
        > after a diary entry is published that you receive
        > it by email, so this isn't the way to go if you
        > want your daily dose immediately. You also won't
        > see any of the annotations by email, so you'll
        > still have to visit the site if you want those.
        > If your email client is fairly modern (accepts
        > HTML email) then you'll still get links to
        > Encyclopedia pages within the diary entry (this
        > works fine in Gmail for example); otherwise
        > you'll just see the text with no links.
        >
        > The email process is handled by FeedBurner
        > <http://www.feedburner.com/>, where all this
        > site's RSS feeds
        > <http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/formats/> now
        > live, and has worked for the past week while I've
        > been testing it, but let me know (below or by
        > email) if you experience problems.

        > http://www.gyford.com/

      • Jenny Doughty
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2007
          Thank you from me too - makes life easier.

          Jenny

        • Laura Sullivan
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2007
            This is an amazing thing you've done, Phil!  How nice to have something I want to read instead of the usual junk. Thank you very much for your dedication to this project.
            With much appreciation,
            Laura Sullivan

            http://www.gyford. com/