Sam and sleep patterns

  • australiansusan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2006
      We have had discussions before the amount of sleep Sam has and how he
      sleeps. I have just been reading on the BBC website about the campaign
      to introduce siestas which maintains having an afternoon nap was a
      universal practice until the industrial revolution and the beginnings
      of the tyranny of the production line. Do we have any evidence of this
      in the Diary? I do not have that impression. What do others think?
      Here is the url for the article which started this train of thought.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5122184.stm
    • Eccena@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2006
           Sam is still quite young. I think he's charged by his life and his work.

           He amazes me with how much, and far, he travels and gets accomplished
           between "betimes" and his midday dinner. Not many present day Londoners could cover a
           as much territory and make as many contacts as he does daily. No wonder he sleeps
           through sermons on Sunday.

           ( Please excuse present tense.)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
          Susan, et al.
          I'm not sure there is evidence otherwise of siestas in the cooler northern
          Europe or its N American colonies before the industrial revolution. Most
          farmed anyway, and they made hay while the sun shone.

          Terry