Robert Hooke, 1635-1703, papers go online

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
      Robert Hooke, Britain's Leonardo, papers go online

      By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
      The papers of Robert Hooke, a 17th century scientist hailed as
      Britain's answer to Leonardo, have gone on line so that his pioneering
      work can now be appreciated by a global audience.

      # The Hooke Folio (for broadband
      users)http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/library/HookeTTP/hooke_broadband.htm
      # Extracts from Hooke manuscript

      Hooke (1635-1703), the first professional scientist, was always
      desperate for publicity and now, three centuries after Sir Isaac
      Newton allegedly tried to erase him from history, his papers have been
      made available on the internet by the Royal Society, London. Hooke
      joined the Royal Society as the first Curator of Experiments in 1662
      and later went on to become the Society's Secretary. He performed
      experiments to the public and was the first paid scientist

      Continued:-
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/10/08/scihooke108.xml
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2007
        Thanks for the link, Michael. Great stuff.

        I did have to smile when I saw this:
        "Prof Jardine, who is the Director of the Centre for Editing Lives and Letters..."

        I'm keeping away from that guy! I don't want my life edited...

        -Todd

        --- Michael Robinson <robinsonrepepys@...> wrote:

        > Robert Hooke, Britain's Leonardo, papers go online
        >
        > By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
        > The papers of Robert Hooke, a 17th century scientist hailed as
        > Britain's answer to Leonardo, have gone on line so that his pioneering
        > work can now be appreciated by a global audience.
        >
        > # The Hooke Folio (for broadband
        > users)http://www.royalsoc.ac.uk/library/HookeTTP/hooke_broadband.htm
        > # Extracts from Hooke manuscript
        >
        > Hooke (1635-1703), the first professional scientist, was always
        > desperate for publicity and now, three centuries after Sir Isaac
        > Newton allegedly tried to erase him from history, his papers have been
        > made available on the internet by the Royal Society, London. Hooke
        > joined the Royal Society as the first Curator of Experiments in 1662
        > and later went on to become the Society's Secretary. He performed
        > experiments to the public and was the first paid scientist
        >
        > Continued:-
        > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/10/08/scihooke108.xml

      • Barbara Howard
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2007
          Ahaa!! I believe that is Prof. LISA Jardine. Feel any different now
          Todd? ((Probably not ;-))

          Barbara

          --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Todd Bernhardt <beat_town@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2007
            D'oh!! [insert joke here about how my life has already been extensively edited by women]

            Thanks for keeping me honest, Barbara!
            -Todd