Re: [pepysdiary] Jane Shore -Oxford Dictionary of National Biography

  • Richard Histon
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
      Thanks Jane. Just to point out that anyone with a library ticket in a
      major city should be able to access most of the Oxfords (full
      dictionary, this one, and others, including Britannica) from home by
      accessing the Oxford site and entering your library ticket number. Most
      cities seem to subscribe to this, and it is superb. All the major Oxford
      (and Cambridge if you go there) are there. If you don;t have a ticket
      you can access from your city library. Always go for the subscriber
      option, not the limited public one.

      For example the ODNB is here, ready to put your library card no. in

      http://www.oxforddnb.com/auth/login.jsp?url=%2Fsubscribed%2F

      jeannine_kerwin wrote:

      > For a few days there is free access to Jane's bio on ODNB at
      > http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/3.html
      > <http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/3.html>
      >
      > Sam has referred to her once or twice, most famously when he told us
      > on 21 April 1662 that "He tells me how my Lady Duchess of Richmond and
      > Castlemaine had a falling out the other day; and she calls the latter
      > Jane Shore, and did hope to see her come to the same end that she did."

    • Richard Histon
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
        Many apologies - Jeannine !

      • terry.foreman@murraystate.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007
          Richard,

          Some of us are in small USA towns whose public
          libraries don't work the way yours do.

          Terry