Re: [pepysdiary] Kneller 'John Wallis' -- Pepys presentation to Oxford, 1702

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21 3:14 PM
      Michael Robinson wrote:

      > Photograph & lengthy cataloge note describing the commission and
      > subsequent presentation to Oxford.
      >
      > http://www.odl.ox.ac.uk/oxfordportraits/portrait.php?q=hudson&t=C&p=0&w=88
      > <http://www.odl.ox.ac.uk/oxfordportraits/portrait.php?q=hudson&t=C&p=0&w=88>

      Thank you,Michael, for this. The catalogue notes show that Sam, in
      later, years, displayed many of the same aspects of character we have
      come to know already in the Diary - his attention to detail, his
      persistence in following something through (even when in ill health as
      he was then), his concern that all should be done in the very best way,
      his interest in new methods and technology and desire that appropriate
      recognition be given to those deserving of it. We know how Sam has been
      studying mathematics diligently and we see from this that his love of
      the subject and respect for those who were masters of it remained
      throughout his life.