We seem to be on/ahead of the cutting edge of theory and 'reading practice.'

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007
      A new science fiction novel is threatening to completely overhaul the
      way literary criticism is conducted, claims John Sutherland

      "Any contemporary novel today has a kind of Google novel aura around
      it, where somebody's going to google everything in the text ...
      there's this nebulous extended text. Everything is hyperlinked now.
      What the author is outlining here is the theory of a new and
      innovatively creative reading practice."

      Node-man, a Gibson fan, has duly set up a website with the devotional
      URL node.tumblr.com. Node-man also got a very early copy of Spook
      Country. The fan is unidentified: Gibson knows who he is, and says he
      lives in small-town USA and wants, apparently, to stay anonymous.

      Node-man mobilised a volunteer army of fellow enthusiasts and set out
      to create what Gibson above terms the "Google aura", or what he
      prefers to call the critical "cloud" that hovers over every work of
      literature. We can now "map" this in ways we never could before -
      thanks to Messrs Google and Wikipedia.

      What this means, at the basic level, is a new kind of annotation.

      Full Text:
      http://books.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2159309,00.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2007
        Interesting. Interesting. A quote from the full article caught my attention:
        "So too, when we read a novel, we create our channel through it. Which
        is why my Da Vinci Code is different from your Da Vinci Code and each of
        ours are different from the five million others. Dan Brown's novel
        should be seen as a gigantic piece of Emmental, with millions of
        wormholes threading through it." But if you read Jasper Fforde as well
        as William Gibson (which I do), you will know that what is really true
        is that books exist in their own world......Or to revert to Terry
        Prachett, - technology is becoming more and more like magic. We have
        created a world where almost all of us use technology we cannot possibly
        hope to understand and we lose control of our lives. An example:
        shopping used to end with someone working out by arithmetic how much we
        owed the shop and how much change we needed from the notes and coins we
        gave the assistant. Now, a check out person scans the items in front of
        a machine and is told how much is owed by the customer and how much
        change to give. The only skill required is "recognition of the cardinal
        numbers, a minimal attention span and a rather greater capacity for
        concentrated tolerance of boredom"(Eric Howsbawm). So perhaps part of
        the desire of NodeMan or should I say NodePerson, is to create control
        or direction. As we all have different Sams in our heads as we read The
        Diary and write about different Sams when we annotate. (Something like
        this happens in Gibson's Pattern Recognition, but with film.