"The Plot Against Pepys" by Long and Long

  • jeannine_kerwin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 16 4:08 AM
      Thanks Michael for posting the book review. A few months ago, Phil
      received an advance copy from the publisher and sent it along to me to
      review. He just posted the review on the Pepys site

      http://www.pepysdiary.com/indepth/archive/2007/08/16/the_plot_against_p
      e.php

      I thought that the book was great---it was totally outside of the
      Diary years. Following the tracks of all of the characters was a
      little difficult as Sam interacted with so many people as he tried to
      peel back the onion and figure out the plot. It was also fascinating
      to see Sam as an older & wiser man putting to use the skills learned,
      connections made, etc. during the years that we read about. I hope
      that others enjoy this book too-it was well worth the read to me--like
      rooting for the home town hero.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 16 10:05 AM
        Jeannine:
        Thanks for your review. You make it sound absolutely fascinating.

        I thought the review I posted, Philip Hensher in the Spectator, did
        not engage with the subject matter at all except in the most general
        of ways: however, it was the first mention of the work I had seen.
        Had I known you were at work sleeping dogs would have remained
        undisturbed.

        Best,

        Michael Robinson

        --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "jeannine_kerwin"

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16 11:54 AM
          Thanks for that Jeannine (both the review and posting an email to the list!).

          Although I had the site post the review automatically today I forgot
          that I'd have to email the list myself about it. Computers can't
          quite do everything for me yet :)

          The link below is broken in two for me, so in case it is for others,
          this might work better: