Cowley, Abraham (1618-1667) -- ONDB -- Life of the Day

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2007
      Cowley, Abraham (1618-1667), poet, was born in London, the seventh
      and posthumous son of Thomas Cowley (d. 1618), a stationer, and his
      wife, Thomasine. His mother obtained his admission as a king's scholar
      to Westminster School, which then enjoyed a considerable reputation.
      By his own account, Cowley had been first captivated by poetry as a
      child when he happened upon a copy of Edmund Spenser's Faerie Queene
      in his mother's parlour. His own career as a published poet began
      extremely early: Poetical blossoms, a collection of five poems,
      appeared in 1633; a second edition, adding 'Sylva, or Dyvers Copies of
      Verses', in 1636; and a third edition in 1637. According to the
      preface, the narrative poems 'Pyramus and Thisbe' and 'Constantius and
      Philetus' had been composed at the ages of ten and twelve respectively.

      To read this Life of the Day complete with a picture of the subject,
      visit http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/lotw/2007-07-28
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29, 2007
        Michael,

        Thanks for this. Interesting polymathic overachiever, Cowley, and user of
        most of the (literary and political) masking devices of his time. I wonder
        if he would have proven of even more lasting interest had he not been so
        invested in proving his stuff to his own age.

        Terry
        aka Terry F