Re: Jamestown 1607-: The first permanent English colony in the new world

    Message 1 of 14 , May 11, 2007
      The ships were chartered by the Virginia Company (probably from the
      Muscovy Company)and under the command of Christopher Newport "a sort
      of sailor of fortune ready to enter the service of any group of men
      that wanted him" see Andrews, 'Colonial Period of American History,'
      1934 (1960) Vol 1 p. 98

      I am curious why you both appear to believe they would be flying the
      flag(s) of the Royal Navy?

      Michael Robinson

      --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Thomas" <susan.thomas@...>
      wrote:

      > ** High Priority **
      >
      > Yes! But I am mystified by what this Hearts of Oak website says
      about the Union Flag - it says it was designed to be used at sea - yet
      the Navy website I got my information from states exactly the opposite
      - that the Navy ships used the Cross of St George and the Red Ensign
      with the St George in the in the canton in the 17th century- after
      all, it was specifically an ENGLISH Navy. Sam mentions flags
      somewhere, doesn't he? It is yet another technical area he was eager
      to learn more about. As ever! I don't think he specifically mentions
      what type of flag was being used, but the Dutch War which is brewing
      in the Diary as we read at present was partly over the question of
      dipping flags in the Channel and elsewhere.

      > Susan Thomas
      > for
      > Emphron Informatics Pty. Ltd.
      >
      > (07) 3378 7344
      > 0411 094 688

      > This is more period-accurate for what ships flew:
      >
      > http://tmg110.tripod.com/british1.htm
      >
      > Terry F
      >

      > At 01:02 PM 5/11/2007 +1000, you wrote:
      > >** High Priority **
      > >
      > >I have done now! (the University which is co-ordinating the
      celebrations).
      > >Will let you know if they reply. The English and Scottish Union
      Flag is
      > >well known in Australia as it was the Flag the ships of the First
      Fleet
      > >sailed under. The red saltire of St Patrick for Ireland was not added
      > >until after the Act of Union in 1801. The Navy in Sam's day flew
      the Flag
      > >of St George from the jack staff and the Red Ensign with the Flag
      of St
      > >George in the canton (not the Union Flag in the canton as RN ships do
      > >now). NB Use by shipping was different from us on land - the first two
      > >crossed Union Flag was introduced in 1606, but not used on shipping
      until
      > >the 18th century.
      > >
      > >Susan Thomas
      > >for
      > >Emphron Informatics Pty. Ltd.
      > >
      > >(07) 3378 7344
      > >0411 094 688

      > >Email them!
      > >
      > >Terry
      > >
      > >At 10:03 AM 5/10/2007 +1000, you wrote:
      > > >** High Priority **
      > > >
      > > >Wonderful site, Terry! Spent ages looking at everything - only
      one quibble
      > > >- the ships are flying the wrong flag! The Union Flag showing the
      > > >connected flags of England and Scotland did not come into use
      until after
      > > >the Union of Scotland with England in 1707.
      > > >Australian Susan
      > > >
      > > >Susan Thomas
      > > >for
      > > >Emphron Informatics Pty. Ltd.
      > > >
      > > >(07) 3378 7344
      > > >0411 094 688

      > > >See the info boxes below the photo to the right of this article
      and click on
      > > >JAMESTOWN 400 to see other stories, multimedia about 17th century
      English

      Message 2 of 14 , May 11, 2007
        In 1606, following some altercations over flags between English and
        Scottish ships, James VI and I issued the following proclamation: ...

        The exact design that accompanied this has been lost. Several designs
        are known to have been considered including quartering the flags of
        England and Scotland (as the Royal Standard is quartered) and putting
        the two side-by-side, but the chosen design was: ...

        [Alas, text of proclamation of April 12th. 1606 and flag design will
        not paste, see:-]

        http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=7

        --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Robinson"

        Message 3 of 14 , May 11, 2007
          Nice clarification.

          Also interesting ongoing 17c flag history, proclamation of C II that
          governed flagging in Pepys's day.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 11, 2007
            ** High Priority **

            More flag information about merchant and RN ships:

            "Maritime Flag History

            According to Whitney Smith's book on flags, merchant ships from 1606-1634 flew the Union Jack (minus the cross of St Patrick of course) on the foremast and the flag of England (Cross of St George) on the jack staff. He gives four possible positions for flags, going from fore to aft on the ship they are: jack staff, foremast, mainmast, ensign staff.

            * Before 1606 they flew the flag of England from both the foremast and the jack staff.
            * From 1634-1707 they flew the flag of England from the jack staff and a version of the Red Ensign (with the cross of St. George in the canton instead of the entire Union Jack) from the ensign staff.
            * From 1707-1801 they flew the flag of England from the jack staff and the Red Ensign from the ensign staff.
            * From 1801 onward they flew the Union Jack with a white border from the foremast and the Red Ensign from the ensign staff. "
            from this website:
            http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb-hist.html#hist

            Australian Susan

            >>> terry.foreman@... 12/05/2007 1:14:50 am >>>

            Message 5 of 14 , May 11, 2007
              Smith's classification for non-naval vessels appears to lack precision
              for our, the Diary, period.

              Charles I Proclamation of 5th. May 1634 specifically forbids ANY use
              of the
              Union Flag by non-Royal vessels:-

              "... prohibit and forbid that none of Our Subjects of any of our
              Nations or Kingdoms shall from henceforth presume to carry the Union
              Flag in the Main top or any other part of their Ship ... upon pain of
              Our high displeasure but that the same Union Flag be still reserved as
              an ornament proper for Our own Ships, and Ships in our immediate
              Service and Pay, and none other."

              And specifies the flags to be used by other ships:-

              ... And likewise our further will and pleasure that all the other
              Ships of our subjects of England or South Britain bearing flags shall
              from henceforth carry the Red-Cross commonly called St George his
              Cross as of old time has been used; and also that all other ships of
              our subjects of Scotland or North Britain as shall henceforth carry
              the White Cross commonly called S. Andrew's Cross, whereby the several
              shipping may be distinguished ..."

              [Proclamations. 1634-05-05 By the King. A proclamation appointing
              the flags, as well for our nauie royall, as for the ships of our
              subiects of south and north Britaine. Variant title By the King. A
              proclamation appointing the flags, aswell for our navie royall, as for
              the ships of our subjects of south and north Britaine
              Imprinted at London : by Robert Barker, printer to the Kings most
              excellent Maiestie: and by the assignes of Iohn Bill, 1634.
              Physical descr. [1] sheet ([1] p.) ; 1⁰.
              Dated at end: Greenewich, this fifth day of May, in the tenth yeere of
              our reigne ... .
              STC (2nd ed.), 9014 Steele, 1674]

              Authorization of the use of a red ensign by merchant ships dates from
              a Proclamation of Charles II of 18 September 1674:-

              [By the King. A proclamation for regulating the colours to be worn on
              merchants ships. Variant title Proclamation for regulating the
              colours to be worn on merchants ships
              London : printed by the assigns of John Bill and Christopher Barker,
              printers to the Kings most Excellent Majesty, 1674.
              Physical descr. 2 sheets (versos blank) ; 1⁰.
              At end of text: Given at our court at Whitehall the eighteenth day
              of September 1674. in the six and twentieth year of our reign.
              Wing (CD-ROM, 1996), C3414]