Re: [pepysdiary] Jamestown 1607-: The first permanent English colony in the new world

    Message 1 of 14 , May 10, 2007
      Of course, Australian Susan, another possibility is that, because the
      replica ships were sailing long after 1707, they had to have flags required
      by the law of the time. Same with vintage cars on the roads, right?

      Terry F

      Message 2 of 14 , May 10, 2007
        ** High Priority **

        I have done now! (the University which is co-ordinating the celebrations). Will let you know if they reply. The English and Scottish Union Flag is well known in Australia as it was the Flag the ships of the First Fleet sailed under. The red saltire of St Patrick for Ireland was not added until after the Act of Union in 1801. The Navy in Sam's day flew the Flag of St George from the jack staff and the Red Ensign with the Flag of St George in the canton (not the Union Flag in the canton as RN ships do now). NB Use by shipping was different from us on land - the first two crossed Union Flag was introduced in 1606, but not used on shipping until the 18th century.

        Susan Thomas
        for
        Emphron Informatics Pty. Ltd.

        (07) 3378 7344
        0411 094 688

        >>> terry.foreman@... 10/05/2007 11:39:06 am >>>
        Email them!

        Terry

        Message 3 of 14 , May 10, 2007
          I gather the Navy in SP's time flew these:?

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George's_Cross

          http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb-ensig.html

          Terry F

          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2007
            This is more period-accurate for what ships flew:

            http://tmg110.tripod.com/british1.htm

            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2007
              ** High Priority **

              Yes! But I am mystified by what this Hearts of Oak website says about the Union Flag - it says it was designed to be used at sea - yet the Navy website I got my information from states exactly the opposite - that the Navy ships used the Cross of St George and the Red Ensign with the St George in the in the canton in the 17th century- after all, it was specifically an ENGLISH Navy. Sam mentions flags somewhere, doesn't he? It is yet another technical area he was eager to learn more about. As ever! I don't think he specifically mentions what type of flag was being used, but the Dutch War which is brewing in the Diary as we read at present was partly over the question of dipping flags in the Channel and elsewhere.

              >>> terry.foreman@... 11/05/2007 1:37:33 pm >>>

              Message 6 of 14 , May 11, 2007
                The ships were chartered by the Virginia Company (probably from the
                Muscovy Company)and under the command of Christopher Newport "a sort
                of sailor of fortune ready to enter the service of any group of men
                that wanted him" see Andrews, 'Colonial Period of American History,'
                1934 (1960) Vol 1 p. 98

                I am curious why you both appear to believe they would be flying the
                flag(s) of the Royal Navy?

                Michael Robinson

                --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Thomas" <susan.thomas@...>

                Message 7 of 14 , May 11, 2007
                  In 1606, following some altercations over flags between English and
                  Scottish ships, James VI and I issued the following proclamation: ...

                  The exact design that accompanied this has been lost. Several designs
                  are known to have been considered including quartering the flags of
                  England and Scotland (as the Royal Standard is quartered) and putting
                  the two side-by-side, but the chosen design was: ...

                  [Alas, text of proclamation of April 12th. 1606 and flag design will
                  not paste, see:-]

                  http://www.flaginstitute.org/index.php?location=7

                  --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Robinson"

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 11, 2007
                    Nice clarification.

                    Also interesting ongoing 17c flag history, proclamation of C II that
                    governed flagging in Pepys's day.

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 11, 2007
                      ** High Priority **

                      More flag information about merchant and RN ships:

                      "Maritime Flag History

                      According to Whitney Smith's book on flags, merchant ships from 1606-1634 flew the Union Jack (minus the cross of St Patrick of course) on the foremast and the flag of England (Cross of St George) on the jack staff. He gives four possible positions for flags, going from fore to aft on the ship they are: jack staff, foremast, mainmast, ensign staff.

                      * Before 1606 they flew the flag of England from both the foremast and the jack staff.
                      * From 1634-1707 they flew the flag of England from the jack staff and a version of the Red Ensign (with the cross of St. George in the canton instead of the entire Union Jack) from the ensign staff.
                      * From 1707-1801 they flew the flag of England from the jack staff and the Red Ensign from the ensign staff.
                      * From 1801 onward they flew the Union Jack with a white border from the foremast and the Red Ensign from the ensign staff. "
                      from this website:
                      http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb-hist.html#hist

                      Australian Susan

                      >>> terry.foreman@... 12/05/2007 1:14:50 am >>>

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 11, 2007
                        Smith's classification for non-naval vessels appears to lack precision
                        for our, the Diary, period.

                        Charles I Proclamation of 5th. May 1634 specifically forbids ANY use
                        of the
                        Union Flag by non-Royal vessels:-

                        "... prohibit and forbid that none of Our Subjects of any of our
                        Nations or Kingdoms shall from henceforth presume to carry the Union
                        Flag in the Main top or any other part of their Ship ... upon pain of
                        Our high displeasure but that the same Union Flag be still reserved as
                        an ornament proper for Our own Ships, and Ships in our immediate
                        Service and Pay, and none other."

                        And specifies the flags to be used by other ships:-

                        ... And likewise our further will and pleasure that all the other
                        Ships of our subjects of England or South Britain bearing flags shall
                        from henceforth carry the Red-Cross commonly called St George his
                        Cross as of old time has been used; and also that all other ships of
                        our subjects of Scotland or North Britain as shall henceforth carry
                        the White Cross commonly called S. Andrew's Cross, whereby the several
                        shipping may be distinguished ..."

                        [Proclamations. 1634-05-05 By the King. A proclamation appointing
                        the flags, as well for our nauie royall, as for the ships of our
                        subiects of south and north Britaine. Variant title By the King. A
                        proclamation appointing the flags, aswell for our navie royall, as for
                        the ships of our subjects of south and north Britaine
                        Imprinted at London : by Robert Barker, printer to the Kings most
                        excellent Maiestie: and by the assignes of Iohn Bill, 1634.
                        Physical descr. [1] sheet ([1] p.) ; 1⁰.
                        Dated at end: Greenewich, this fifth day of May, in the tenth yeere of
                        our reigne ... .
                        STC (2nd ed.), 9014 Steele, 1674]

                        Authorization of the use of a red ensign by merchant ships dates from
                        a Proclamation of Charles II of 18 September 1674:-

                        [By the King. A proclamation for regulating the colours to be worn on
                        merchants ships. Variant title Proclamation for regulating the
                        colours to be worn on merchants ships
                        London : printed by the assigns of John Bill and Christopher Barker,
                        printers to the Kings most Excellent Majesty, 1674.
                        Physical descr. 2 sheets (versos blank) ; 1⁰.
                        At end of text: Given at our court at Whitehall the eighteenth day
                        of September 1674. in the six and twentieth year of our reign.
                        Wing (CD-ROM, 1996), C3414]