Re: [pepysdiary] Re: Monthly Temperatures for the Diary period

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2007
      Hi,

      Yes, I've tried to get permission once so far and was told:

      >I am sorry to inform you that on this occasion the Met Office cannot
      >grant you permission for your request to use the Historical Central
      >England Temperature (CET) data as referred to by BADC as this data is
      >not owned by the Met Office, it is not ours to grant a licence for.
      >Gordon Manley of the Royal Meteorological Society compiled the monthly
      >series 1659 - 1973 which you refer to; the Met Office only started the
      >daily CET data series in 1772 before then it was monthly.

      I'm a bit confused by this, but I probably didn't help matters by not
      realising the daily data wasn't available until 1772.

      So I've tried again, this time pointing to the data on the Met
      Office's own site.

      Phil

      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2007
        Hi all,

        To keep you updated... the Met Office have confirmed that this data
        is copyright-free, because it's so old, so I hope to include the
        monthly temperature data on the site at some point (I need to find
        time to do it).

        Terry also came up with a good source for old proceedings in
        Parliament, and hopefully I can find a way to include links to these
        next to each diary entry without too much work.

        Lords
        http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.asp?pubid=37&month=4&year=1664

        Commons
        http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.asp?pubid=113