Re: [pepysdiary] Monthly Temperatures for the Diary period

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2007
      Nice find Terry. I've emailed the Met Office to see if I can get hold
      of the data and permission to include it on the site.

      In time I'd like to add historical information next to each diary
      entry, and this temperature data might be ideal for that. If anyone
      has suggestions for other data that would be relatively easy for me
      to include (I don't want to manually create text for every day!).

      For example, if Hansard had online records of Parliamentary
      proceedings going back that far, I could link to each day's events.
      Similarly, the Old Bailey, who currently only goes back to 1674. Or
      if there was an online version of John Evelyn's diary that let me
      link to each day's entry...

      Any suggestions welcome!

      Phil

      At 16:59 -0500 2007-04-16, Terry Foreman wrote:
      >Folks,
      >
      >Someone in this group who is connected to an academic or other research
      >institution in the UK has the best chance at clearance to access the
      >
      >Dataset: Met Office - Historical Central England Temperature (CET) Data
      >
      >http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/browse/badc/ukmo-cet
      >
      >"These daily and monthly temperatures are representative of a roughly
      >triangular area of the United Kingdom enclosed by Bristol, Lancashire and
      >London (view map). The monthly series, which begins in 1659, is the longest
      >available instrumental record of temperature in the world. The daily series
      >begins in 1772.
      >
      >"Manley (1953,1974) compiled most of the monthly series, covering 1659 to
      >1973."
      >
      >http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/data/cet/?source=dbrowser
      >

      >Terry F

    • Peter Easton
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2007
        The Central England Temperature data (CET) - as monthly mean - are
        available here, dating from 1659:

        http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cetml1659on.dat

        From a link within this site:
        http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/data/download.html

        It says:
        "The Daily, Monthly and Annual data is [sic. Data are plural!]
        available without charge, but please read the terms and conditions
        before using it." (link:
        http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/terms_and_conditions.html)
        Which states: "HadCET is subject to Crown copyright protection. The
        material may be downloaded to file or printer for the purposes of
        private study and scientific research. Any other proposed use of the
        material is subject to a copyright licence available from the Met
        Office. Licences and further information can be obtained from the Met
        Office IPR Officer, Sutton House, London Road, Bracknell, Berkshire
        RG12 2SY E-mail: ipr@.... "

        Thus it looks like any readers here are welcome to view the data, but
        posting them on the Pepysdiary site would need approval.

        Daily data are available only from 1772.

        Peter
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2007
          Peter,

          Phil wrote: "I've emailed the Met Office to see if I can get hold
          of the data and permission to include it on the site."
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pepysdiary/message/275

          We will see. An interesting check on Pepys's reports!

          Terry F

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 28, 2007
            Hi,

            Yes, I've tried to get permission once so far and was told:

            >I am sorry to inform you that on this occasion the Met Office cannot
            >grant you permission for your request to use the Historical Central
            >England Temperature (CET) data as referred to by BADC as this data is
            >not owned by the Met Office, it is not ours to grant a licence for.
            >Gordon Manley of the Royal Meteorological Society compiled the monthly
            >series 1659 - 1973 which you refer to; the Met Office only started the
            >daily CET data series in 1772 before then it was monthly.

            I'm a bit confused by this, but I probably didn't help matters by not
            realising the daily data wasn't available until 1772.

            So I've tried again, this time pointing to the data on the Met
            Office's own site.

            Phil

            Message 5 of 6 , May 4, 2007
              Hi all,

              To keep you updated... the Met Office have confirmed that this data
              is copyright-free, because it's so old, so I hope to include the
              monthly temperature data on the site at some point (I need to find
              time to do it).

              Terry also came up with a good source for old proceedings in
              Parliament, and hopefully I can find a way to include links to these
              next to each diary entry without too much work.

              Lords
              http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.asp?pubid=37&month=4&year=1664

              Commons
              http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.asp?pubid=113