Monthly Temperatures for the Diary period

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2007
      Folks,

      Someone in this group who is connected to an academic or other research
      institution in the UK has the best chance at clearance to access the

      Dataset: Met Office - Historical Central England Temperature (CET) Data

      http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/browse/badc/ukmo-cet

      "These daily and monthly temperatures are representative of a roughly
      triangular area of the United Kingdom enclosed by Bristol, Lancashire and
      London (view map). The monthly series, which begins in 1659, is the longest
      available instrumental record of temperature in the world. The daily series
      begins in 1772.

      "Manley (1953,1974) compiled most of the monthly series, covering 1659 to
      1973."

      http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/data/cet/?source=dbrowser

      Terry F
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17, 2007
        Nice find Terry. I've emailed the Met Office to see if I can get hold
        of the data and permission to include it on the site.

        In time I'd like to add historical information next to each diary
        entry, and this temperature data might be ideal for that. If anyone
        has suggestions for other data that would be relatively easy for me
        to include (I don't want to manually create text for every day!).

        For example, if Hansard had online records of Parliamentary
        proceedings going back that far, I could link to each day's events.
        Similarly, the Old Bailey, who currently only goes back to 1674. Or
        if there was an online version of John Evelyn's diary that let me
        link to each day's entry...

        Any suggestions welcome!

        Phil

        At 16:59 -0500 2007-04-16, Terry Foreman wrote:
        >Folks,
        >
        >Someone in this group who is connected to an academic or other research
        >institution in the UK has the best chance at clearance to access the
        >
        >Dataset: Met Office - Historical Central England Temperature (CET) Data
        >
        >http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/browse/badc/ukmo-cet
        >
        >"These daily and monthly temperatures are representative of a roughly
        >triangular area of the United Kingdom enclosed by Bristol, Lancashire and
        >London (view map). The monthly series, which begins in 1659, is the longest
        >available instrumental record of temperature in the world. The daily series
        >begins in 1772.
        >
        >"Manley (1953,1974) compiled most of the monthly series, covering 1659 to
        >1973."
        >
        >http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/data/cet/?source=dbrowser
        >

        >Terry F

      • Peter Easton
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26, 2007
          The Central England Temperature data (CET) - as monthly mean - are
          available here, dating from 1659:

          http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cetml1659on.dat

          From a link within this site:
          http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/data/download.html

          It says:
          "The Daily, Monthly and Annual data is [sic. Data are plural!]
          available without charge, but please read the terms and conditions
          before using it." (link:
          http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/terms_and_conditions.html)
          Which states: "HadCET is subject to Crown copyright protection. The
          material may be downloaded to file or printer for the purposes of
          private study and scientific research. Any other proposed use of the
          material is subject to a copyright licence available from the Met
          Office. Licences and further information can be obtained from the Met
          Office IPR Officer, Sutton House, London Road, Bracknell, Berkshire
          RG12 2SY E-mail: ipr@.... "

          Thus it looks like any readers here are welcome to view the data, but
          posting them on the Pepysdiary site would need approval.

          Daily data are available only from 1772.

          Peter
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2007
            Peter,

            Phil wrote: "I've emailed the Met Office to see if I can get hold
            of the data and permission to include it on the site."
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pepysdiary/message/275

            We will see. An interesting check on Pepys's reports!

            Terry F

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 28, 2007
              Hi,

              Yes, I've tried to get permission once so far and was told:

              >I am sorry to inform you that on this occasion the Met Office cannot
              >grant you permission for your request to use the Historical Central
              >England Temperature (CET) data as referred to by BADC as this data is
              >not owned by the Met Office, it is not ours to grant a licence for.
              >Gordon Manley of the Royal Meteorological Society compiled the monthly
              >series 1659 - 1973 which you refer to; the Met Office only started the
              >daily CET data series in 1772 before then it was monthly.

              I'm a bit confused by this, but I probably didn't help matters by not
              realising the daily data wasn't available until 1772.

              So I've tried again, this time pointing to the data on the Met
              Office's own site.

              Phil

              Message 6 of 6 , May 4, 2007
                Hi all,

                To keep you updated... the Met Office have confirmed that this data
                is copyright-free, because it's so old, so I hope to include the
                monthly temperature data on the site at some point (I need to find
                time to do it).

                Terry also came up with a good source for old proceedings in
                Parliament, and hopefully I can find a way to include links to these
                next to each diary entry without too much work.

                Lords
                http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.asp?pubid=37&month=4&year=1664

                Commons
                http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.asp?pubid=113