Robert Cawdrey. A Table Alphabeticall (1604)

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
      Hard Wordes in Plaine English
      By Scott McLemee

      Longtime readers of Intellectual Affairs may recall that this column
      occasionally indulges in reference-book nerdery. So it was a pleasant
      but appropriate surprise when the Bodleian Library of the University
      of Oxford provided a copy of its new edition of the very first
      dictionary of the English language. It has been out of print for
      almost 400 years, and the Bodleian is now home to the one known copy
      of it to have survived.

      Available now as The First English Dictionary, 1604 (distributed by
      the University of Chicago Press
      http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/230289.ctl), the work
      was originally published under the title A Table Alphabeticall. It was
      compiled in the late 16th century by one Robert Cawdrey. The book did
      not bring him fame or fortune, but it went through at least two
      revised editions within a decade. That suggests there must have been a
      market for Cawdrey's guide to what the title page called the "hard
      usuall English wordes" that readers sometimes encountered "in
      Scripture, Sermons, or elswhere."

      Continued:-
      http://insidehighered.com/views/2007/04/04/mclemee
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
        Michael R,

        Fascinating: of Cawdrey I was unaware. Thanks.

        Terry F

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2007
          ** High Priority **

          Fascinating - I especially liked the definition of decision. Never heard of him before - a great find! Thanks!

          Australian Susan

          Susan Thomas
          for
          Emphron Informatics Pty. Ltd.