Re: [pepysdiary] Site News: New design launched

  • Alan Bedford
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
      And a mighty handsome design it is, Phil. Unless you're using Firefox,
      which loses all the art and the layout. The annotations are unreadable
      in Firefox also.

      Looks okay in IE, though. As an old guy, I'd like a slightly larger
      type face, although not as large as IE's "Larger".

      Alan Bedford

      Gray Court SC

      mailto:moonlgt@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
        Alan,

        I run both IE and Firefox and find the results very comparable.

        Terry F

        At 10:22 PM 3/2/2007 -0500, you wrote:
        >And a mighty handsome design it is, Phil. Unless you're using Firefox,
        >which loses all the art and the layout. The annotations are unreadable
        >in Firefox also.
        >
        >Looks okay in IE, though. As an old guy, I'd like a slightly larger
        >type face, although not as large as IE's "Larger".
        >
        >Alan Bedford
        >
        >Gray Court SC
        >
        >mailto:moonlgt@...
        >

        >Phil Gyford wrote:
        > >
        > > As you can tell, the site's had a lick of paint! Everything *should*
        > > be working OK now, so if you come across anything that looks broken,
        > > or that doesn't work as you expect, do let me know (and tell me which
        > > web browser and operating system you're using).
        > >
        > > I'd been hoping to redesign the site for most of last year but
        > > somehow 2006 zipped by and I only got started on the project when I
        > > had some work fall through over Christmas and New Year.
        > >
        > > The site has grown a lot over the past few years and despite
        > > occasional tweaks I felt it was getting a little unwieldy and could
        > > do with some reorganisation. I was also increasingly dissatisfied
        > > with the design and wanted to spruce it up with a look that will
        > > hopefully see us through the years to come. There are one or two
        > > rough edges I'd like to sort out when time allows, but it's 99% done
        > > for now.
        > >
        > > Although I've rebuilt things from the ground up there are no new
        > > features yet -- I've just reorganised and redesigned the existing
        > > material. However, I have several ideas for interesting new things to
        > > add, and this will hopefully be easier with the new site.
        > >
        > > So, I hope you like it -- let me know if I've unwittingly removed
        > > something you relied on!
        > >
        > > http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2007/03/02/7343.php
        > > <http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2007/03/02/7343.php>
        > >
        > > --
        > > Phil Gyford
        > > http://www.gyford.com/ <http://www.gyford.com/>
        > >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • marcpuckett
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
          I also can view in both IE and Firefox; have Firefox v 2.

          --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2007
            Alan:

            Had the same problem as you with my Firefox.

            Phil posted a 'fix" -- which I first found using IE, alas! - which worked for me.
            *********

            Phil Gyford
            on Fri 2 Mar 2007, 11:58pm

            Hmm, the first thing I can think of that might be causing problems is if your browser has cached the stylesheet for the old site.

            Go to this URL and then click the Refresh/Reload button in your browser: http://www.pepysdiary.com/style/default/global.css

            Then try viewing the site again.

            *******

            Best,

            Michael Robinson

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2007
              Yes, Alan let me know if the fix below works or not for you -
              browsers have a habit of storing the old version of the stylesheet
              (which tells the page what it should look like), and it sounds like
              this is happening to you.

              Phil

              <http://www.pepysdiary.com/>Phil Gyford on Fri 2 Mar 2007,
              <http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2007/03/02/7343.php#> 11:58pm

              mailto:<mailto:moonlgt%40mindspring.com>moonlgt@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2007
                At 22:22 -0500 2007-03-02, Alan Bedford wrote:

                >Looks okay in IE, though. As an old guy, I'd like a slightly larger
                >type face, although not as large as IE's "Larger".

                If many people find the text too small to read comfortably I'll look
                into changing it.

                For what it's worth, the diary entries used to be in text 14.4 pixels
                high and they're now 13 pixels.

                Annotations are exactly the same size as they were before, 12 pixels,
                but look slightly larger than they were due to a change in font.