Re: [pepysdiary] To protect a king - Oxford DNB Life of the Day

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2007
      ** High Priority **

      Thank you for this! As a teenager, I lived in Abbots Leigh and was very interested in the village's part in Charles's escape after the Battle of Worcester. Leigh Court was the name of the mansion inhabited by the Nortons. The routes taken by Jane and Charles were known and one piece of "road"which had been circumvented by the current road remained very much as a green lane, much as it must have been when the pair rode down it. The present Leigh Court is an 18th century replacement of the building Charles and Jane would have known, but here's a picture of it anyway. http://www.conferences-uk.org.uk/Bristol.asp?venue=Leigh%20Court Richard Ollard's first book was on this event and it was bought for me when I was living in Abbots Leigh. Still available: http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Charles-II-Battle-Worcester/dp/0880291141/sr=1-5/qid=1171713163/ref=sr_1_5/103-7792712-3739867?ie=UTF8&s=books

      Australian Susan

      Susan Thomas
      for
      Emphron Informatics Pty. Ltd.

      (07) 3378 7344
      0411 094 688

      >>> robinsonrepepys@... 17/02/2007 7:56:56 pm >>>
      Lane, Jane, Lady Fisher (d. 1689), royalist heroine,

      http://www.oxforddnb.com/public/lotw/1.html