Lunchtime event - 25 May, St Olave’s church in London

  • glyn_thomas1234
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2007
      Lunchtime event - 25 May, St Olave's church in London
      and
      Free evening entrance to the Tower of London

      If you're are in London on that day, the annual Pepys Memorial
      Lecture will be held in St Olave's church at 12.00 and will last for
      about an hour. Afterwards, if anyone is interested we could have a
      look around the locality (Seething Lane, Crutched Friars, Mark Lane
      etc) and then have an orange juice at the Pepys bar in the Novotel
      hotel nearby.

      And if anyone has the afternoon free, people could copy Pepys and
      take a boat trip from the Tower of London down to Greenwich (takes
      about 20 minutes). For non-Brits, riverside Greenwich is a
      designated World Heritage Site and among other things has the
      National Maritime Museum containing the original paintings of Pepys,
      Will Hewer, etc.

      There's nothing for anyone to do at present apart from making a note
      in your Diaries EXCEPT that if you are still around in the evening
      you can and should apply NOW to get free access to the Tower of
      London for the "Ceremony of the Keys" (9.30 to 10.15 pm). It's a
      very atmospheric occasion on a dark November night, I'm not sure
      what it's like in daylight in May, but it's something that any
      Londoner or visitor to London should try whenever they have the
      opportunity to do so - Eric Walla has done it so could probably
      advise about what happens.

      You can ONLY apply for tickets through this official website:
      http://hrp.org.uk/tower/planning_your_visit/ceremony_of_the_keys
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        I'm afraid I can't make it to any of this, as I'll be at college all
        day, but it sounds like a good plan and I hope some of you can make
        it!

        Phil

        At 22:53 +0000 2007-01-31, glyn_thomas1234 wrote:
        >Lunchtime event - 25 May, St Olave's church in London
        >and
        >Free evening entrance to the Tower of London
        >
        >If you're are in London on that day, the annual Pepys Memorial
        >Lecture will be held in St Olave's church at 12.00 and will last for
        >about an hour. Afterwards, if anyone is interested we could have a
        >look around the locality (Seething Lane, Crutched Friars, Mark Lane
        >etc) and then have an orange juice at the Pepys bar in the Novotel
        >hotel nearby.
        >
        >And if anyone has the afternoon free, people could copy Pepys and
        >take a boat trip from the Tower of London down to Greenwich (takes
        >about 20 minutes). For non-Brits, riverside Greenwich is a
        >designated World Heritage Site and among other things has the
        >National Maritime Museum containing the original paintings of Pepys,
        >Will Hewer, etc.
        >
        >There's nothing for anyone to do at present apart from making a note
        >in your Diaries EXCEPT that if you are still around in the evening
        >you can and should apply NOW to get free access to the Tower of
        >London for the "Ceremony of the Keys" (9.30 to 10.15 pm). It's a
        >very atmospheric occasion on a dark November night, I'm not sure
        >what it's like in daylight in May, but it's something that any
        >Londoner or visitor to London should try whenever they have the
        >opportunity to do so - Eric Walla has done it so could probably
        >advise about what happens.
        >
        >You can ONLY apply for tickets through this official website:
        >http://hrp.org.uk/tower/planning_your_visit/ceremony_of_the_keys

      • Barbara Howard
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
          I thought you posted this?