Has a naughty word exposed Charles I ? Times (London ) Jan 20 2007

  • mfrassociates@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2007
      Has a naughty word exposed Charles I?
      Dalya Alberge, Arts Correspondent

      Historian cracks code in lover's letter
      View of 'stuffy' Charles will change

      A British historian has cracked the code in a letter written by Charles I
      and discovered a secret affair that overturns his centuries-old image as a
      devoted husband and morally upright monarch.
      Sarah Poynting has found that the King used the word “swiving” — an obscene
      word used in the 17th century for sex. It was concealed within a letter
      written in cipher to Jane Whorwood, stepdaughter of one of his former courtiers,
      which was smuggled out of Carisbrooke Castle where he was imprisoned in 1648,
      the year before his execution.

      Deciphering its contents, Dr Poynting discovered that in urging Whorwood to
      visit him, the King had written: “I imagine that there is one way possible
      that you may get a swiving from me.”
      She said that earlier attempts to decode the letter had failed as
      researchers did not realise that the King had used it to conceal his attempt to arrange
      a sexual liaison. They believed that the crucial line had a very different
      meaning: “Yet I imagine that there is one way possible that you may get
      answering from me.”
      Historians now must revise their image of Charles I,...

      Continued:-
      _http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2555857,00.html_
      (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2555857,00.html)