Naval History Book

  • glyn_thomas1234
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
      The British naval historian N.A.M. Rodger has fairly recently written
      an acclaimed and extremely detailed (900 pages) history of the Royal
      Navy from 1649 to 1815, titled "The Command of the Ocean", which is a
      quote from Pepys' friend John Evelyn. Please go to www.amazon.com for
      more information. Of course Pepys makes many appearances. The book is
      divided into successive chapters describing naval operations, and then
      the social history of the time, so there's something for everyone.

      I've used the holiday to prepare pdf's of those pages that deal with
      the navy from 1660 to the early 1700s, which would be valuable
      background information for anyone reading the Diary. If you'd like me
      to send you the pdf then please contact me at the following address
      (DO NOT REPLY DIRECTLY TO THIS MESSAGE AS THIS ADDRESS IS FLOODED BY
      SPAM AND I WON'T FIND YOU), and I'll email the extracts to you. And if
      you should use them in future postings, then please credit N.A.M.
      Rodger.

      The address to use is: pepysnavy@...
    • glyn_thomas1234
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
        Not sure if that got through correctly. The address to use is
        pepysnavy [AT SYMBOL] yahoo dot com pepysnavy@...
      • glyn_thomas1234
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2007
          Unsure if this wasn't garbled. The address to write to is:

          pepysnavy [AT Symbol] yahoo dot com

          --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "glyn_thomas1234"