Recent News: Become a Pepys encyclopedia editor

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2007/01/02/7146.php

      Some time ago I raised the possibility of readers of the diary
      adopting pages in the Encyclopedia
      (http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/) and becoming editors of them.
      I made a few changes to the site that made this possible, and a
      couple of press-ganged "volunteers", Jeannine and Todd, have so far
      given this a try.

      Being an editor mainly involves writing a summary of a particular
      topic, with particular emphasis on Pepys' relationship to it. Another
      possible task is to tidy up and summarise annotations. So far none of
      us are sure how much this is possible or desirable -- is it feasible
      to reduce long lists of annotations and use their information and
      links within a single more coherent summary written by the editor?
      Although this was my original idea it's been more difficult than I
      imagined and it's something we'll think about as we progress.

      So far we have three pages done as examples:

      * Catherine of Braganza - http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/2381.php by Jeannine.
      * Frances Stuart - http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/5036.php by Jeannine.
      * Mathematics - http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/370.php by Todd.

      There is also a page of guidelines and instructions
      (http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/editors/) for editors, which should
      help give you a flavour of what's involved.

      If you're interested in adopting an Encyclopedia page (and for the
      moment it's probably best to choose only one), then have a browse and
      find a page that says (on the right-hand side) "This page is edited
      by Phil Gyford", which is their default state. Email me the name of
      the page and I'll create an account for you.

      You might want to start by choosing a relatively minor person, place
      or thing for which there's only a paragraph or so to say about it.
      There are lots of these and it would be a good way to get the hang of
      the process before deciding whether you want to take on more
      complicated topics.

      We'll probably discuss aspects of policy -- such as the issue
      mentioned above of whether and how to summarise annotations -- on the
      discussion list (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pepysdiary/). If there
      ends up being a lot of this, and a lot of editors, we may start a new
      list, but the discussion list should do for the moment.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2007
        As an update to this, Jeannine has written another couple of entries:

        * Charles Berkeley - http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/1686.php
        * Edward Hyde Earl of Clarendon - http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/804.php

        As I said before, many entries will only require a paragraph, or a
        sentence or two, so don't feel put off by Jeannine's sterling efforts
        in tackling these interesting people :)

        Phil