Re: Is this a 'new' painting of Pepys?

  • aroaldo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
      Looks very much like Samuel Pepys--- In
      pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Easton" <eastonph@...> wrote:

      > Seems unlikely, but what do you think?
      > This pictures comes from BBC Radio 4's PM programme, when they
      invited
      > members of the public to send in photos from a specific date (5th Dec
      > 2006). This was posted:
      > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/pm/galleries/757/58/#gallery757
      > Before reading the text, my thought was it reminds me of Pepys, which
      > is exactly what the owner says. Also, is it an original? The way the
      > light reflects off the surface suggests it could be.
      > Regards
      > PHE

    • Shawn Laasch
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
        My initial response was exactly like Susan's -- "Samuel Pepys as Viewed from a Ditch"?  Surely the foreshortening of the head cannot be accounted for by a distorted camera angle.  As for the periwig and jowl, this could be from his lean and hungry years, still a youth without having cut off his lovely tresses.

        I imagine, though, that our Sam would have made a rather significant note in his Journal about such a lovely portrait.

        --
        Visit http://laasch.net for design and development needs.
      • Jenny Doughty
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
          Would he, necessarily, if it had been painted some years before the diary begins? The man in the picture looks quite young.

        • Eccena@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
               Sam's lips are much fuller in the portrait we know and the widest part of his face is in the upper cheek rather than the jowl area.

               I think it's close but no cigar.

              Ellen