Re: [pepysdiary] Is this a 'new' painting of Pepys?

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2007
      ** High Priority **

      Fascinating! Yes, it does look like SP, especially around the nose and mouth, but the facial perspective looks odd - as if the photographer were angled beneath the portrait somehow. What is the provenance? How does it compare with other portraits of JE? These periwigs make really getting a true awareness of a person difficult. My Folio Society Diary for 2007 opens with a a beautiful reproduction of the portrait of SP from the Diary period. Holding it up to the screen besides this other picture gives me the impression that the real SP portrait is heavier in the jaw and chin and much rounder in the eye. What do other people think?

      Australian Susan

      Susan Thomas
      for
      Emphron Informatics Pty. Ltd.

      (07) 3378 7344
      0411 094 688
    • aroaldo
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
        Looks very much like Samuel Pepys--- In
        pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Easton" <eastonph@...> wrote:

        > Seems unlikely, but what do you think?
        > This pictures comes from BBC Radio 4's PM programme, when they
        invited
        > members of the public to send in photos from a specific date (5th Dec
        > 2006). This was posted:
        > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/news/pm/galleries/757/58/#gallery757
        > Before reading the text, my thought was it reminds me of Pepys, which
        > is exactly what the owner says. Also, is it an original? The way the
        > light reflects off the surface suggests it could be.
        > Regards
        > PHE

      • Shawn Laasch
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
          My initial response was exactly like Susan's -- "Samuel Pepys as Viewed from a Ditch"?  Surely the foreshortening of the head cannot be accounted for by a distorted camera angle.  As for the periwig and jowl, this could be from his lean and hungry years, still a youth without having cut off his lovely tresses.

          I imagine, though, that our Sam would have made a rather significant note in his Journal about such a lovely portrait.

          --
          Visit http://laasch.net for design and development needs.
        • Jenny Doughty
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
            Would he, necessarily, if it had been painted some years before the diary begins? The man in the picture looks quite young.

          • Eccena@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
                 Sam's lips are much fuller in the portrait we know and the widest part of his face is in the upper cheek rather than the jowl area.

                 I think it's close but no cigar.

                Ellen